PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Is there a source for the box body rubber seal between the cowl and hood?

Default Is there a source for the box body rubber seal between the cowl and hood?

The rubber seal between the top of the cowl and underside of the hood is hard as a rock on my 86, and cracks apart when loooked at wrong. The seal on my parts car is only very marginally better and therefore not really any good. This obviously isn't a make or break part, but is annoying now that I know it's basically garbage.

I checked steel rubber, as well as rock auto and neither of those places carry this weird piece.

Given our cars don't have much of an aftermarket/enthusiast following, I highly doubt this is remanufactured, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Do Mustangs use one? if so that might be your best bet for a source of the material. Does it happen to be the same or similar to trunk gaskets? Can't remember what exactly the shape of that is without going to look.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

I have found some for Mustangs, Broncos and F150s I would think the Bronco and F150 could be cut to fit.
    If you can get a Ford part number, I can try to find a nos.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

i had a dig through the parts manual and couldn't come up with a number. Anything about seal or insulator and cowl turned up nothing. Must exist, I'm probably just looking in the wrong place.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

From a quick google search and LMC truck catalogue review, Mustangs and F150s seem to have a different seal. Looks like they clip on or are riveted on. Ours just slides on sort of like the trunk seal.

Although I'm almost positive it's a different extrusion than the trunk seal, trunk seal may work (good suggestion Gadet73). I'll give it a shot and let you all know. That would be an easy fix as the trunk seal is easily available.

fomoco panthers !

Can you call Ford and get a part # ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysboat View Post
    From a quick google search and LMC truck catalogue review, Mustangs and F150s seem to have a different seal. Looks like they clip on or are riveted on. Ours just slides on sort of like the trunk seal.

Although I'm almost positive it's a different extrusion than the trunk seal, trunk seal may work (good suggestion Gadet73). I'll give it a shot and let you all know. That would be an easy fix as the trunk seal is easily available.

I agree with your findings. Those vehicles have an actual metal cowl that the trim in question attaches to via the push fasteners.

I put one one from a newer crown Victoria.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Donating Member

Fox mustang cowl seal does indeed clip on. If it slides over a pinch seam like the trunk, I’m sure you could prob match the profile pretty easily and cut to fit.

If anyone is curious, the hood seal sold by LMR for a 1999-04 Lightning appears to be dead nuts for the profile, pushes on and secures like a new car. It is about 6-8" short unfortunately. Noticeable decrease in high frequency engine noise in the cabin and less engine bay smells into the HVAC.