Evaporator interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaporator interchange

I'm going to rebuild the AC in my 1986 Country Squire. My previous luck has been best with just replacing every component instead of trying to flush and replace seals, then finding more leaks later. Initially I was just going to leave the evaporator and flush it, but it looks like it won't be too hard to replace (Condition is unknown and the PO was clueless about the leaky heater already).
    If anyone has any tips for the evap replacement I would appreciate them! The FSM is a little skimpy on pictures and details.

I am already planning on swapping to the later style FS10 compressor from a 1989-91.
    I know I can swap to the later condenser as long as I get the right hoses.
    Does the later 89-91 Evaporator core fit in my case without issue? I can get a Motorcraft evaporator core and I would really prefer that over one of the off brands.
    I will likely have to go with the off brands for hoses so I get modern barrier hose for R-134a.

Note, the current compressor is questionable and the system has at least one major leak already, I'm not trying to band-aid this conversion.

Thanks!
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Master parts manual shows the same part from 86-89. My manual ends at 1989 so no idea if its the same beyond that
    E6VY-19860-A / YK-103
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Getting to the evaporator is a pain in the ass. I took mine out through the engine bay and had to partially dismantle the hvac box. I don’t know if theres another way of doing it but if there isn’t I would skip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just ordered the Condenser, Evaporator, and Accumulator/Drier for an 1989 Country Squire according to RockAuto
        Evaporator: Motorcraft YK132
        Condenser: Motorcraft YJ414
        Drier: UAC RD7188C

Interchange looks like I should be good going with the later compressor. If I decide the evaporator is too much of a pain I can test it and see. But they only had 1 left of these so I can return if needed.
        1986 Country Squire
        1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Fun update. RockAuto had an error in their system and didn't actually have the Motorcraft parts. I found the Evaporator as NOS on ebay for $100 cheaper but am still looking for a condenser. Anybody know if the aero panther condenser will work?
          1986 Country Squire
          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I think if you get an aftermarket one slated for a box you get a modern style condenser, not the old loopty-loop type that the R12 system ran. Physically I don't see why a newer one wouldn't fit, just don't know about actually connecting the thing to the plumbing. quick look makes me think the lines come out slightly different but its probably the same core. Would make sense if the mfg are using the same core for box and aeros and just changing where the pipes come in.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

as long as the connections are the same, anything up to a 94 or 95 should fit. After that they changed things up front.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks like my post didn't actually post. I found a NOS evaporator (80's Motorcraft box and all) for $75 on ebay and a NOS in box condenser for $120. The condenser had an F5 part number but came up in my searches as the correct application. It also had the newer style Motorcraft label, my guess/hope is that it will be a parallel flow condenser updated for R134a in '95. I'll report my findings when it shows up.
                The compressor I ordered is a very nice unit, includes what I'm assuming is the manifold for connections already installed with a small inert charge. Does anyone have a picture of an installed '89-91 compressor to make sure I have the right pieces?
                1986 Country Squire
                1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Cool, the NOS Compressor came with the manifold that is on top with the 4 bolts. Looks like the other rectangular piece on the back is part of the hose assembly.
                    Condenser came today, it is what looks like an official R-134a retrofit piece from Ford, came with new foam to seal against the radiator and a "This vehicle has been converted to R-134a" sticker from Ford. Overall quality is very nice, aside from a bunch of bent fins along the edges. I guess 25 years getting shuffled around warehouses was a lot of bouncing. I can straighten most of those pretty easy with a fin comb and patience.
                    It does appear to be a 2 row parallel flow condenser, both of the end tanks/manifolds are on the same size. Think of it as a big parallel flow condenser that was folded down the middle to put the left and right ends on the same side.
                    1986 Country Squire
                    1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Alright, I've been screwing with adapter fittings and hoses for the past couple weeks. And I had a massive realization tonight. The compressor I bought NOS did not have any label on it regarding oil charge, however when I pulled the cover off there was oil that came out. I was in a hurry at my buddies shop and just charged the system and added PAG oil during the charge. I now realize that the oil in the compressor could have been mineral oil in which case I am boned. Does anyone have information on how to decode the numbers on the back label of the compressor to see when it was made? If it was made after the r-134a switchover I would assume that it came with PAG oil.

The retrofit condenser is a parallel flow so it can't be flushed if it is contaminated with mineral oil.
                      Majorly bummed on this one.
                      1986 Country Squire
                      1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I have a Ford reman compressor from the 90’s (Green/black box). It specifically says for use with R12 only all over the box and sticker on the compressor. I don’t think you could miss it.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Good to know, my main concern is that since mine is NOS it could have been made before the changeover so there would be no reason to label it as such. It had the older style label/logo on the box. The FSM states that replacement compressors shipped with X oz of mineral oil.
                          The box mine came in was brown with blue printing. The code on the back of the compressor is 2B 0024
                          1986 Country Squire
                          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I always ran ester oil in conversion setups just to avoid problems with oil mixing. If it never had any oil at all you can do PAG but I've never had a dry virginal system to work from. The compressors at least tend to come with some sort of oil and its not always obvious which. Sometimes you can tell by the smell. Mineral oil just smells like motor oil, which isn't much at all. PAG and Ester tend to smell more like PVC glue.

Comment

Yea, I assumed it was dry because it wasn't labeled, and was planning to run Ester oil but the machine at my friends shop is just filled with PAG and I spaced on it. I'll be pulling the condenser out and filling it with ac flush to sit for a while. Then drain the compressor and flush the other components.
                              I figure because there isn't any debris in the system filling the condenser with solvent should dissolve the oil fairly well and with the larger tubes compared to a modern condenser it should air out and dry alright.
                              I will be charging with Ester oil this time. From my reading I think I should be alright, as most OEM's just said to flush and fill for retrofits as well, and these are brand new parts that haven't absorbed the mineral oil or any R12 at all.
                              1986 Country Squire
                              1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Working...
                              X