Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headers. Let's beat this dead horse some more..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headers. Let's beat this dead horse some more..

So the subject of headers is bubbling on other threads but I don't want to Hi-Jack them.
    So my question for all of you with early boxes is an easy one.
    Is there a better flowing or fitting shorty for our cars than the BBK 1515.?
    I picked up a pair on a swap deal and had them ceramic coated for this 347 project.
    The time is drawing near and before they are in there, I want to be sure of my options.
    All FORD All The Time

I have the 15150 on my 347,I would love to find a set of longtubes that fit(and may have a set modified if that's what's needed for power), I haven't had any issues with these(the ceramic coated version of those you mentioned).
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

When I first got my 87 mgm the po installed either flotech or some other crappy brand mid length headers. I don’t know what vehicle they were intended for but they did fit well. Not much help but just throwing that out there. Perhaps a set of 302 headers for a full size Ford sedan would fit like a set for a Galaxie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would be tough to find something off the shelf for these boxes.

If you're dead set on longtube headers, custom will probably be your best bet.

I can't see any competent shop charging less than 4-5 hours of work to modify a set of headers into a chassis.

Factor in the cost of the longtubes and you're looking at an expensive piece of hardware.

I have to ask though, do you think your headers will be a restriction or a liming factor in your overall performance goals for the car?

Or are you just wanting to experiment and tinker?

Would it be enough to justify the effort, time and cost of the upgrade?
        1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
        1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
          Would be tough to find something off the shelf for these boxes.

If you're dead set on longtube headers, custom will probably be your best bet.

I can't see any competent shop charging less than 4-5 hours of work to modify a set of headers into a chassis.

Factor in the cost of the longtubes and you're looking at an expensive piece of hardware.

I have to ask though, do you think your headers will be a restriction or a liming factor in your overall performance goals for the car?

Or are you just wanting to experiment and tinker?

Would it be enough to justify the effort, time and cost of the upgrade?
          Thanks for your replies and time. What you wrote is almost exactly how I'm looking at this.

Ultimate performance is not my goal, just getting the most bang for my buck IS MY GOAL..

As I posted the question to ya'll, aside from the 1515's I have, was/is there a better option..?

I can't find a better one. I've been down the custom made header route on other projects and this car is not going to turn into that type of car.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

any of the shorties fit fine. Equal length should be good for slight gains, but they're generally miserable to live with otherwise. Hard to change plugs and such.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X