Emissions 3 port diverter valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emissions 3 port diverter valve

What connects to the nipple on the 3 port diverter valve shown in the picture? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3781.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1305301

I believe it's part of the smog pump system, perhaps the valve that feed the smog pump? It's been a while since I had that system hooked up.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yes the air pump connects to the inlet port. The inlet and outlet ports are hooked up in my car. However, the nipple at the top isn't connected to anything. Am wondering what the nipple at top of the diverter valve should be hooked to. If nothing, then why does it exist and what is it for? Why shape it as if something should connect to it but then not ever connect something to it? Is it used for testing?

Comment

It should have a small plastic vacuum line that runs from either the tab or tad solenoid. I believe its a white vacuum line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you. I found the following which supports what you are saying Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang_emissions.gif
Views:	2
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1287133. There is bank of solenoids and tee's on the passenger fire wall. The plastic hoses are brittle and many are broken off. It is a puzzle that I haven't got around to solving because the broken plastic hoses doesn't seem to affect the performance/operation of the engine that I can notice. I'm not trying to restore it or be a perfectionist. However, I did some big job this weekend where I replaced the timing chain, harmonic balancer and water pump. While in there I soaked clean the diverter valve and smog (air) pump. She runs almost perfect now. Am unsure why. Read that a malfunctioning diverter valve can cause poor gas mileage and poor acceleration like in the 15% range so I became interested. The car used to buck when under load at low RPM (like right after shifting 1-2 or 2-3 etc and more so with the A/C on). After the above she is doing it much much less. I think my fuel injectors are the final item that needs to be addressed.

I've become obsessed with making the car run perfectly.
          Last edited by jrhende6; 06-15-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X