No announcement yet.

Crown Vic Frame Rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sorry to see that, I know what it’s like to find unexpected frame rot.
    On one hand it’s a huge bummer, but it’s also good in a way because getting into an accident would be kinda shitty.
    If you are a good metalworker/welder, and your state doesn’t require a certified welder (or you are a certified welder) you could definitely fix that. But to do it correctly and make sure the frame is straight is a lot of work. And would take a lot of time.

If you have a ton of money into the car, and the car is pristine otherwise, a frame swap may be your best bet like was said above. If you have a lot of money into the drivetrain, you could swap your drivetrain into a different car as well.
    In my area, finding a box frame is like finding a needle in a haystack, same with Aeros. Not sure about where you live. You could roll a late model chassis under it, it has been done before.

Again sorry to hear this, hope you get it sorted out

Comment

Yeah finding a nice frame would probably be close to impossible if it didn't already have a car attached to it. At that point, it would make more sense to just fix up the one with the good frame.

Looks like I'll drive it until it's inspection is up at the end of the year and then strip it come the spring and look for another. It's a shame because mechanically it's completely fine. The body itself isn't rotted either (besides the trunk parts that I "patched" last year). Fenders, doors, bumpers, hood, interior are all good so I'll hopefully be able to take all that off before junking it. Plan on keeping the engine, trans and police sway bars as well.

I found another post where their car rotted in the same exact spot: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ust-Prevention

I guess passenger side frame rail is common. I haven't had AC in the car in the 8 years I've owned it and not sure how long before that since it worked. I wonder if this was from parking on the street with the passenger side rotting due to facing the grass side of the curb?
      Last edited by slack; 06-21-2020, 02:58 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Looks bad mang.

There are still a bunch of these rust free cars out there begging for a caring owner.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The passenger side of the vehicles at least here seem to get the the wear the most. The suspension due to the break down of the road on the right side. The body rot on the passenger side due to the plow trucks pushing the snow and salt brine to the right side. That salt just sits there all year and gets all over especially when it rains. Winter weather just slowly kills, like cancer. It seems like pickup trucks get it the worst. I see even 3 year old trucks rotting out.

Comment

the brine is pure liquid evil.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Damn, that sucks. Such a nice car otherwise.

With how I am, I'd fix it. But, before you weld it or have it welded find out what is required in your area regarding such repairs if you are require to get it inspected. We don't have inspections where I'm at, so I was free to weld my wagon up as needed.

My Jeep Grand Wagoneer was much worse than that. I tought myself how to weld (Well- I learned from reading, watching video's and lots of practice) over the coarse of a year and then finally fixed it myself. Had to do a lot of fabbing to make a patch to weld in and some reinforcing beyond that to make sure it was good and strong. At this point in time, you can't even tell my frame was ever repaired. Other than that the metal on that side isn't rusty and scaley anymore. It takes a lot of time and work- so it's not for everyone. I wouldn't bother on common stuff, but on rare hard to find stuff- sometimes it's the only way to go.
              1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

For those that have had this caused by the air conditioner was it condensate from the evaporator drain or sweat from the accumulator hitting the frame? Is it possible to relocate the evaporator drain with a piece of hose if this is the culprit?

I hurt my back yesterday otherwise I would go crawl under my 85 to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

lot more water from the evaporator. The drain is more of a gap between the evap case and the firewall. If you climb under there and look straight up at the bottom of the case you'll see it. A rubber tube siliconed in place and run down the firewall to drip below the frame should sort it. Just have to make sure the tube isn't inserted so far that it holds water in the case, and it has to be large enough to drain. Basically the biggest hose you can get in that hole is the right size. Keep it as straight as you can so it doesn't trap garbage and so its not impossible to clean out later.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks gadget! Hopefully my back is better in a few days so I can crawl under there and get a drain tube setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On one hand it's a good time for '92+ frame swap. Get 4 wheel disc, wide track rear end, and a bunch of other stuff. Go with an '03+ frame if you want even more performance. Course it's a fairly specialized job that you don't want to entrust to just anybody. Same things apply if you have your existing frame repaired. Have seen much worse brought back from the dead to better than new. Good time to add more bracing to areas if you want to improve handling. Good time to upgrade to poly body mounts in either case, because the body's coming off the frame. Rest of the car seems intact like you said and you've done a ton to it over the years. Run the numbers, including approximately how long you'll be storing the car for and go from there. My vote is fix, improve, and ride hard no matter the cost. But everyone's circumstances are different, and only you know where to draw the line with a build.
                      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I’ve seen people do ‘03+ frame swaps and it didn’t look too difficult?

Comment

Here's a frame for you:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts...162443945.html

88 Country Squire
                          86 Colony Park, non-op'd
                          89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment

Originally posted by tikitiki65 View Post
                            That’s awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              It seems like pickup trucks get it the worst. I see even 3 year old trucks rotting out.
                              Making payments on a rusting truck would be depressing.
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

That is why people here are leasing everything. A friend of mine has a new GMC quad cab, fancy 60k truck. Lease payments are somewhere in the 500-600 range. He has just taken it back to the dealer for repair because of rust where the rocker attaches to the running board. Just one winter.
                                But at the end of the lease, they turn in the keys and walk away. Get into something else. Just renting a vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X