No electrical Power 95 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No electrical Power 95 Town Car

Hello, I am new around here, my 95 Townie has a strange electrical problem with no electrical power. The dashboard does not light up at all. The only thing that works is the clock and the spot with the ABS and the Oil pressure light. I tried a test where I unplugged the battery and everything worked fine for a few seconds and then dimmed out leaving only the spot with the ABS and the clock working. The Windows don’t work, headlights don’t work. Wipers don’t work as well as the turn signals. Any help with this voodoo electrical problems would be appreciated
    Thanks,

1995LincolnTownCar

clean your battery connections if you haven't yet. Both posts. Make sure the ground cable is tight at the block and the cables are in good shape. If they crunch weirdly when bent the cables might be toast.

All of the power comes through the fuse box under the hood on these. Make sure the cable connection at the fuse box is clean and tight.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Think it might be my battery cables. Replacing them.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        clean your battery connections if you haven't yet. Both posts. Make sure the ground cable is tight at the block and the cables are in good shape. If they crunch weirdly when bent the cables might be toast.

All of the power comes through the fuse box under the hood on these. Make sure the cable connection at the fuse box is clean and tight.
        The engine ground or the one on the cables?

Comment

Good idea to check all of the fat cables that go to the ground side to make sure all points are secure. Also check the grounds at the back of the engine to the firewall. There should be at least one (bare flat braided cable) if I remember correctly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

all of them need to be clean and tight, but be sure the one at the fuse box is clean and tight too, not just the end at the battery or the block.

not impossible the fuse box is full of green cheese if it got wet but lets look at the easy things first. If its not just dirty connections, a voltage drop test would tell us a lot here.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm no expert when it comes to newer than 91, but ignition switch gone bad? Maybe someone can chime in if there is a problem with them as our cars are getting older. WagonMan
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

that was mostly fixed by the 90s but even with a dud ignition switch the headlights ought to work.

Comment

Check the driver side dash ground behind the kick panel. Should be close to the door. Several black wires on rings bolted to the body. May also be one on the passenger side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    Check the driver side dash ground behind the kick panel. Should be close to the door. Several black wires on rings bolted to the body. May also be one on the passenger side.
                    Going to go check on those grounds

Comment

Working...
                    X