Part number list for my '08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part number list for my '08

Hate to start another thread, but can't seem to find the info I'm searching for. The sticky thread with the parts lists is an excellent thread with some of the info that I think I'm looking for, except it's only for 98-02 models.

I've had my '08 LS at the dealer trying to get a rusty gas tank replaced, and it's proving to be impossible to track down what I supposedly need. I ordered a gas tank, but apparently the seals that are needed for the 2 valves/holes on top of the tank aren't readily available ANYWHERE! I can find the part numbers for the valves, I think (fuel vapor valve, and pressure regulator valve?), but not sure if the seals are included with the actual valve parts. They don't seem to be (I could be 100% wrong, though). Any help with part numbers would be great!

Also, the tech at the dealership says I need a filler neck grommet? Any help with locating that particular part number would be appreciated, too.
    What was supposed to be a simple gas tank replacement, is turning into a nightmare...

A 2008 is never an easy thing, 2008 is another early vs late year build difference. The type of roll over valve determines the tank type. For those going the spectra replacement tank, the late has a flush roll over valve, and the early has one that sticks proud of the tank. You might be able to see it before ordering by getting a camera up there for a look.

The only thing I can suggest for parts is check the Spectra website and see what they got. If nothing, then theyll need to resuse the grommet from your old tank.
    Last edited by GM_Guy; 06-22-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and looked all over their website.
      I did find the correct tank without much issue. The one with the notched roll-over valve. But the rubber seals and fittings for the tank are the difficult parts to find. The dealer tech is trying to say the old seals/grommets are too damaged to reuse. It's too bad a new tank doesn't come with new rubber seals/grommets. And even more frustrating, I can't find one to buy separately either. Annoying that a stupid problem like this could end up killing a car with only 60k miles. Actually more than annoying. Makes me sick.

Comment

Surprising the dealer can't work out what the parts are. I'd expect a competent parts guy to be able to get you a part number at least. Getting the part might be a different story though. I'm kind of surprised it would be a completely unique part though. Often stuff like this is common to a bunch of models just because it doesn't make a lot of sense to design a unique rubber seal for each vehicle.

maybe try a parts counter at another dealership?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I would have expected the same and also am surprised. Trying a parts department at another dealership is as good a plan as any. Thanks.

Comment

Sound like the service department is trying to wear you out so you will buy a new/used car from them. Seen that happen before. Seen also the service department jack the labor/parts bill so high that the customer could not afford to pay it. Service told the customer that if he bought a car from the dealer, the bill would be forgotten.
            Dealer can get the parts numbers within 5 minutes if they wanted to. Those parts exist. IF not, another tank/parts could be available via a wrecking yard the dealer works with.

Comment

As your finding out, a dealership isn't necessarily the best place to get work done on an older car. Have you walked over to the parts counter yourself for a chat with the parts guy and see what exists, or alternate vehicles that may share a similar grommet that you could put into service.
              And quite frankly, they took on the job, if your old grommet is not servicable, make it servicable, even if it means a healthy bead of fuel stable sealer (silicone won't do) over it--which will be a pain because the tank and filler are a bit of a royal pain to wrestle the peices together as you lift the tank into place.

Comment

Working...
              X