PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: ES Bushing snag...

Default ES Bushing snag...

I've done a few sets of these ES poly bushings and this is the first wagon I've done (84 colony park). Now I don't know if this is a wagon specific thing.... or just the hilarious lack of production tolerance they allowed here.

The I.D. for the bolt holes on the nut side of the lower arm, rear bushing... 0.778" (pictured)... The OD of the ES bushing sleeve is 0.812" leaving only about .017" of land per side for the sleeve...

Plan... I'm going to turn a sleeve up to weld onto the ES sleeve to make it "headed" about 1", then relieve the bushing body for clearance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IHIFUH3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	54414

I just looked at some old pics of my 79 big brake swap and there is also a huge ass rear hole. I guess I've never noticed this before. The face on the bushing sleeve for the stock one is 30mm (1.18")

Donating Member

So the hole in the arm is too big?
    But the bolt fits the bushing ok?

The hole in the frame is too big for the ES sleeve. In my opinion. Basically there is no land to get the compression on the sleeve when you tighten the bolt. It will more than likely just emboss itself into the frame material and kind of extrude itself into that hole.

As you can see by this rockauto stock replacement bushing pic that face has a much larger surface area than just a sleeve used for the front bushing. https://www.rockauto.com/info/143/K8297_FRO__ra_p.jpg
    Last edited by JeffBoudah; 06-30-2020 at 07:13 PM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

are the bolts different size? Seems odd that the hole in the frame would be larger unless the bolt was also larger. The stock rubber bushings still have that insert that has to contact the frame on each end. I'd expect the hole in the frame to only be large enough for the bolt with reasonable clearance.

What are those bolts anyway?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Bolts are all the same. It is just the two nut side holes on the lower arm's aft bushings. In my uploaded photo you can see the control arm pocket's leading hole is correctly sized to work on the sleeve, the trailing side (nut side) is big. I think they are all like this.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Ah, ok only one side. Must be pressing the sleeve against the flange nut or something. I've not fooled with wagons, but that seems strange to me that it would be different.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

My 79 tudor frame was the same from my pics, and based on the bushings being sold for up to 2002 i would say it was always that way on all platforms. This ES bushing was never engineered correctly for the application.

I have a KISS solution. M14 extra thick black oxide machine washer recessed into the bushing's face. Remove that thickness from the sleeve length.

Weird... I just did a set on my 82, and as I recall the holes were definitely the same size for me
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.