Idle Air Control Valve Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Air Control Valve Questions

Was reading that some cars have a diode in the wiring leading to the IAC and that replacement IAC's may come with the diode already installed internal to the unit and that removing the factory diode from the harness is suggested.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...0593-86-Gt-5-0

Anyone hear something like this?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

First I've heard of it. Don't know why you would remove the diode as it would essentially work as a backup in case the other failed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

never heard of it but I just had a look in my 86 and 91 EVTM. The 86 book shows a diode in parallel with the IAC. The 91 book shows an IAC with an internal diode.

Its a flyback diode. The only thing it does is conduct when the power is removed from the coil in order to keep it from back-feeding a spike of voltage. No reason you can't have two in parallel. Its not dropping any voltage or anything of that nature. Only real argument I can make for removing it is that if the one in the harness goes bad it will act like a bad IAC and replacing the IAC won't fix the problem. Never honestly heard of anyone having that problem and diodes are like 10 cents so NBD.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool. Just wanted to bring this question to this forum and see what feedback comes of it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
        X