Ignition timing done while in Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition timing done while in Drive

Just reading the stickers on my fan blade cover and saw that the instructions say to set timing to 10 BTDC with the transmission in "D".

I didn't do that!

How much difference does that make?

I borrowed a timing light from a friend. Parts stores don't loan those out and I didn't to spend another $30 for a tool I use ever few years (whine).

Seems a few years differ from each other. I've seen some where you're supposed to check them in Drive, others in Park. I've done my car both ways and found that it was still about the same timing wise between the two. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I never do that. Too easy to get yourself run over.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did you ever get to power time a motor running at full throttle? Did that on a few boats.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

done it on boats, never on a car. I can't run that fast, and I'm not about to ride around on the fender or under the hood.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For a carb engine with a mechanical advance, I could see it making a difference.
            For the FI engines with TFI ignition, there is no mechanical advance, so if SPOUT is unplugged, the timing should be the same at 5 RPM as it is at 5000 RPM...with some very small variance for mechanical tolerance (chain slack, gear lash).

In other words I really doubt it matters if the car is injected, and if it is carb, below a certain RPM I'm sure it also doesn't matter.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

+1 never do that unless you have access to a rolling road (dyno) and can strap the car in place so it doesn't move.

Also, here's the idle set procedure for F150s. Use the 5.0L list but ignore the feeler guage stuff and set timing to 10 degrees BTC of course.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Cool schematic, sly!
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I should actually have the ones for cars in one of my manuals, don't remember if that has the feeler gauge stuff or not. I have so damn many manuals these days. If you've never had hands on a complete powertrain control and emissions diag manual its quite a beast.

Comment

Oh I've got one of those! It's so massive it's on a three ring binder.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                      X