Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

torque converter shudder or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torque converter shudder or something else?

The previous threads on this describe bad behavior when driving at speed but my 08 with 79K only exhibits a seat-of-the-pants subtle vibration just as it goes into reverse usually and is gone the instant I apply some power. Once in a while I feel it when creeping in a parking lot and when turning the wheel. Am wondering if this is power steering, not trans issue? I never feel anything untoward above 2 or 3 MPH. I got this thing 16 months ago and have put about 5K miles on it incident free. If anyone else has had this same symptom, how much warning might it give before getting bad and how do we define "bad?" Thank you.
    "In an insane society a sane man would appear insane." --Spock to Kirk
    2008 GM LS in Smokestone Metallic

Torque converter shudder is more so a feeling like running over rumble strips. If it is torque converter shudder, you can verify by lightly applying the brakes to disengage the TCC solenoid.

Comment

I doubt the converter is locking up in reverse. That should only happen in 3rd or 4th gear.

rough in idle sounds more like a misfire, possibly from bad plugs.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That sounds like weak spark or misfires.

+1 shudder is only when TC is locked and slipping and cannot be done in R, 1, 2.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          That sounds like weak spark or misfires.

+1 shudder is only when TC is locked and slipping and cannot be done in R, 1, 2.
          Converter locks up in 2 3 and 4. 1st no and reverse no.

Comment

2? Interesting. That's disabled in the programming for my trans. Might be a "performance" thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

why would you even want lockup in 2?
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

low load gas mileage? EPA stuffs?

Comment

I just don't see where it would be in 2 long enough for lockup to make sense. Smarter people than me design this stuff. My only vehicle with an electronic converter locks only in 3 and 4.

Comment

Working...
                  X