Next mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next mod

2011 grand marquis. Shop put duals on. Removed the rear cats and put thrush turbos on. Its got steeda pullies. Other than that its stock. Today we put two new tires on the back. Falken wildpeak at trails. They are a tad heavier. Id like to do one more modification to the motor without having to tune. Im not quite sure about ziptubes and tb's but again no one where i live tunes anything.

I'd J-mod it.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

+1 j-mod will help the trans shift firmer, get better flow through the torque converter, reduce wear on the clutches, and decrease parasitic loss a little bit. Mine also gained me 1 mpg around town. No clue about highway yet due to no trips in the car since. Your mileage may vary.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        +1 j-mod will help the trans shift firmer, get better flow through the torque converter, reduce wear on the clutches, and decrease parasitic loss a little bit. Mine also gained me 1 mpg around town. No clue about highway yet due to no trips in the car since. Your mileage may vary.
        I never even considered mileage increasing. I live out in the country so it's not like I get much city time, though Floyd has "a" stop light. I just find the enjoyment is greatly increased without long slow slides from range to range. I have 2.73s and I still get a firm nudge that lets me know it changed. No bang shifts, just good firm nudges. It used to be almost as seamless as the CVT in our Forester or that Powerglide in my '57 those years ago. I never felt the desire for a J-mod in a issued PI, but I did have kits in my several Mopar issues back in the day, downside being wet roads.

Blacklabel88, I'd also suggest a Super Tuff plate or Sonnax 76507F-01K reinforcement plate, the stock plate on my Mercury was marked good, but not yet bent under the 2-3 accumulator. I'm gonna do my '07 F-150's just to service the plate issue, though I'll leave out J-modding it as the thing shifts great now with a programmer, don't want to cause any compatibility issues.
        No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

There's various levels to a j-mod. The flow mod to get better flow and cooling to the torque converter is the main point. The shift firmness can be tuned as well. The shift firmness can also be tuned down if needed after the mod if it's too nuts. I've needed to tune mine since there's nothing stock about my car and things worked, but never seemed to really work that great. The engine tune I had done by a pro. The trans tune I've been tweaking for the past year or so. I have it tuned to be a little harsher than my wife would care for, but she never drives it, so meh. It's still very smooth shift if you keep your foot out of it, but mat it and it'll chirp 1-2 and 2-3.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Heavy rear sway bar. One of the best bangs for the buck.
            Last edited by jaywish; 01-25-2021, 04:24 PM.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
            X