Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door closing straps on box door panels

Ok ya'll I've got a dumb question.
    How in the Sam hell do you get the escutcheon off the strap.??
    Got the stamped steel nut off the post on the back of the door panel, got the little round nut off with a improv spanner and stalled there.
    After fiddling with it for 15 minutes I put it all back together and walked away.
    I am going to wrap my closing straps with a blue lace-on steering wheel cover I've had forever, and I'd like it to be proper before I put her together.
    It's gotta come apart again when I do the window motor...so it'll be soon.
    Keep in mind I'm working with one good hand and double vision...LOL..
    All FORD All The Time

I just happen to have spares/old junk straps laying around.

They key is to use a flat head screwdriver or similar object, but knowing how and where to use it is what you're after. If you have narrow enough plastic pry tool, that should work with less risk of marring things. Although nothing that is visible when assembled should be at risk of being marred.

The little round nut thing can be removed before or after the screwdriver/pry tool step. I'll leave that up to user preference.

All apart:

Backside of the plastic insert:

Closeup of the backside of the plastic insert:

Inserting screwdriver before the plastic insert pops out:

After the plastic insert pops out:

The finger, for lack of a better term, on the back of the plastic insert is what the head of the pressed-in(?) stud catches on if you try to just pull the strap out.

The marks showing an (improper) attempt to remove the plastic insert are not from me. I assume the PO attempted to remove this strap (it was all cracked and falling apart), couldn't figure it out, then resorted to duct taping the strap. That duct tape really annoyed me because it was all sticky and gross, so I replaced my straps a couple years ago with matching mint condition straps that I found at the JY.
    Attached Files
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Good write up VicCrownVic ! Those inserts show up on ebay now and then. It would be good to write down the part number. At least the base # 8522870 They do differ a bit in styling depending on year and model. If a person is patient, the complete straps appear once in a while.

clutch47 The steering wheel wrap sounds like a good idea. I would suggest installing a thin piece of rubber on the top and bottom of the metal band. If not the band will cut into the wrap and it will not last long.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and good words. I didn't want to wreck my parts, and I figured one of you gents had these apart before. I'm glad I waited and asked.
        Thanks again.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        clutch47 The steering wheel wrap sounds like a good idea. I would suggest installing a thin piece of rubber on the top and bottom of the metal band. If not the band will cut into the wrap and it will not last long.
        Exactly my plan.... only done with SERIOUS heat shrink. Like the kind the power company uses. Should make the pull comfy and long wearing.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Show us some pics when it is done.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
            Show us some pics when it is done.
            Sure will.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I'm getting ready to replace my driver's side strap, but I can't find any details on what holds the strap to the actual door. Does the whole door panel have to come off to access the back?
              1991 MGM GS - stock summer cruiser, with lovely A/C
              1977 Cougar XR7 - stock summer cruiser, with no A/C
              2009 G8 GT - un-stock summer cruiser
              A couple of Elantra Tourings - I have a strange obsession with them!

Comment

Yes, 2 large nuts on inside of door panel.
                You do not have to pop the covers off like in the above pics.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                X