Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling Circuit Boards Like Quarter Horse etc.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handling Circuit Boards Like Quarter Horse etc.....

How do you guys ground yourselves when handling circuit boards? Would a pair of .9 mil latex gloves prevent static discharge? It's summer in Jersey and it's quite humid at times; nonetheless, I do manage to get a static shock/charge here and there.

I don't. Haven't blown anything up from static yet.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ditto that, I don't ground myself... but I do touch the car first to equalize myself to it... and most people will do that naturally just getting in and out of the vehicle. That's enough right there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

As someone who works around electronics regularly, I'm going to suggest NOT wearing the gloves. You're moving from place to place, and if you're building up a charge, and not letting it dissipate, you're risking more of a "zap" when it does finally release. Just touch the car body, and consciously touch things on the car that are grounded before you touch the board or components; and make it sort of a habit to put your finger on the head of a screw holding a ground strap or something.
        These boards aren't as sensitive as some boards out there, so static damage is rare. Still, better safe than sorry.
        Working with individual components on really sensitive boards? I've got a wrist strap and a static mat, and I wouldn't even consider dragging them out to the car. It's overkill.

Comment

I wear gloves any time I work with stuff. I've never had a zap using rubber nitrile or whatever they are. I have had zaps using my fingers ungloved though.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thanks. I had the ECM out of the car when I did this. I wore my .9mil gloves and everything was fine. I have more questions though. Should I duct tape over the exposed end of the Quarterhorse? Or if I am fortunate, find a piece of plastic (packaging material) to use as a cover? Or is it fine exposed?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1287233 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1287234 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1287235

Comment

As an electrical engineer... I can for a fact say that nitrile gloves will not protect against static buildup beyond about 4-600V. I have been shocked through nitrile gloves at work. Also, working on cars, when you get to the tuning part, you're pretty much at the glove free part anyhow. Wearing gloves is really neither here nor there with handling the QH board. The only real thing to pay attention to is that there's no loose metal to assist in the QH touching the ECM case and shorting out. That's the only real concern. Most automotive based electronics are rated to 4KV electric shock and should survive most static discharge (unless you're making those 1+ inch arcs like in winter with wool coats after getting out of a cloth car). Once again... not a big concern for these parts.

Just try to use best practices: handle by card edge or case. Avoid touching contact pins.

You shouldn't have any issues just following those 2 guidelines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yes, cover the end of the board to make sure nothing can contact it and short things out.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  As an electrical engineer... I can for a fact say that nitrile gloves will not protect against static buildup beyond about 4-600V. I have been shocked through nitrile gloves at work. Also, working on cars, when you get to the tuning part, you're pretty much at the glove free part anyhow. Wearing gloves is really neither here nor there with handling the QH board. The only real thing to pay attention to is that there's no loose metal to assist in the QH touching the ECM case and shorting out. That's the only real concern. Most automotive based electronics are rated to 4KV electric shock and should survive most static discharge (unless you're making those 1+ inch arcs like in winter with wool coats after getting out of a cloth car). Once again... not a big concern for these parts...
                  I've always got gloves on. Proper fit for success I suppose? I don't handle a whole lot of electronics, mostly just instrument clusters when I do. But I hate smudging them so they're always cleaned and then of course I've got gloves on to protect against stray finger oil. Those purple nitrile gloves or my mechanix heavy gloves are always on while I work. Unless what I'm touching is clean. I absolutely hate the feeling of dirty fingers and hands. The irony, right?
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    I've always got gloves on. Proper fit for success I suppose? I don't handle a whole lot of electronics, mostly just instrument clusters when I do. But I hate smudging them so they're always cleaned and then of course I've got gloves on to protect against stray finger oil. Those purple nitrile gloves or my mechanix heavy gloves are always on while I work. Unless what I'm touching is clean. I absolutely hate the feeling of dirty fingers and hands. The irony, right?
                    Yeah. I'll just clean stuff afterwards of the fingerprints if needed. I generally try to avoid touching the parts you see normally and hold things by the edges so I don't have to mess with it later.

Comment

Working...
                    X