PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cool throwback..?

Default A cool throwback..?

I've been sitting on this for years. It worked great when I sealed it up...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20200717_164733.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	964.4 KB 
ID:	54567
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20200717_164750.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	842.5 KB 
ID:	54568
    All FORD All The Time

What is it going into if anything?

Found an ancient Kenwood? headunit my father had in his mustang back in the day. Basically you pulled out the entire radio (for theft reasons) and it had a carry bag for it an all. Reinstall easily by slipping it back into the car and your radio works again.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

My Kenwood (in both the 93 and Expedition - same one KDC-X492) is a decade newer but still considered OLD. Both still more than enough for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

fomoco panthers !

I thought you might have a "cool throwback" like a 8 track or cassette player. I guess that is throwing it too far back. 1996, seems like just a few years ago. Well my 96 CV will be eligible for antique plates next year.

I've been debating swapping the head unit out in my '86.
    Anybody ever bypass the football amp entirely.?
    I'd like to power my speakers differently...
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    I've been debating swapping the head unit out in my '86.
    Anybody ever bypass the football amp entirely.?
    I'd like to power my speakers differently...
    I’ve done so. Run new speaker wires to every speaker from the head unit.

Then I did it again but putting an aftermarket amp In The trunk. Ran new speAker wire from amp to every speaker.
    ~David~

That brings me back to an Alpine radio I put in my 1st car which was an '88 Cougar, we used to call then 'benzi boxes'.. Radio slid out and we carried them around to class in HS with us... Haha. Circa 1990.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    What is it going into if anything?

Found an ancient Kenwood? headunit my father had in his mustang back in the day. Basically you pulled out the entire radio (for theft reasons) and it had a carry bag for it an all. Reinstall easily by slipping it back into the car and your radio works again.

Yep. Same time period...Dads was in his 85 Mustang he had since new.
    ~David~

Then when I traded that '88 for my 1st brand new car, a '96 xr7, I put in the pioneer CD player which the face plate popped off instead... Damn, too funny.

Chris

Mom has an 87 T-Bird she bought new. It has some kind of Blaupunkt cassette deal installed before it ever rolled off the lot. It came without a radio. Per dad, they were told there was a shortage of the factory units and this was a free upgrade or they could wait to accept delivery once the Ford radio became available. They took the Blaupunkt instead. The installer botched the wiring but it works.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I had a Kenwood KC100 (or a similar number) back in the mid '90s. It was great basic head unit for a couple years; then it started falling apart. Wished I had gotten the Blaupunkt head unit instead of going with a familiar name :-/

Oh and the Blaupunkt had a removable face (anti-theft); but that wouldn't matter as nobody looked inside of the Malibu before the mods. LOL

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Depending on the specifics you may not need to run all new wiring to the speakers. Many of the football amps were 2 channel and fed only the front speakers. Handily that means you get 4 wires going direct from the radio to the rear speakers. Saves all the work of running wires from radio to rear speakers. For the front you can run from the radio to the dash speakers and use the original wiring to back-feed the door speakers. Just unplug the amp in the trunk.

On the other hand if you want to use a trunk-mounted amp, there are 4 wires from the old amplifier to the front speakers. Saves the bother of running new wires up front. The rear speakers are cake to connect from a trunk-mounted amplifier.

all depends what you wish to do, but either way if its the 2 channel amp you only need to run one set of wires.

anyway, for me personally if it doesn't have an aux input I'm not interested. The Continental has a 1986 stock JBL radio with an aux in, the Mark VII has a 94 radio that is easy to modify for aux, I just need to actually do it. Towncar has an aftermarket thing with an aux jack.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Too old and lacks functionality, it's a bottom tier unit on top of that. I had an old Alpine CDA 9835 that was pretty sweet, had the Biolite display. Cost me a small fortune back when I was a teen. Actually, I bought a CDA-9831 because the '33 and '35 were too expensive for me. My buddy bought the '35 and I got it several years later offa him. It went in the Fury. I thought about pulling it but it was just too old. Could still hook an iPod to it though. Biolite thing was cool and it boasted 26watts RMS or something like that. Had fat power supply wire or something.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yVwvXO...-CDA-9835.html

It was to me one of the best looking and laid out Alpines ever made. You could change the lighting and it had a built in parametric equalizer and high/lowpass filters. Agh, I should have pulled it from the Fury..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I've had Alpines, and always liked them.

I'm kinda diggin' this one too..https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS8....html?tp=72430
    All FORD All The Time

I post a lot...

Love the older Pioneer decks. I ran this one for awhile in my 89 MGM, 93 Taurus and 89 LTC

https://youtu.be/cKgnmqffNts

That's a decent looking stereo! Very similar to the Sony I put in my Townie. I wanted to go the Alpine route but for whatever reason they go back and forth over customizing backlighting and such with their single din radios. Annoying.

That DEH-P825 was the head unit I had, found the box in the basement the other day with the sleeve I guess I didn't need to use back then! No radio unfortunately, got traded in for a Mark VIII... Oh well, wish I had it...

Chris

I post a lot...

The 825 was a beast. It had lots of features that are common today, but not back then.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Yep, that was my clean sound sound days. Ran 4 Boston Acoustics right off the head unit with a small powered bazooka tube in the trunk. Was tonally pleasing to me with the acoustic stuff I listen too. Best setup I had all the way to up my '16 MKX with the Revel audio...

And when the car manufacturers went to the giant double-DIN radios I lost interest..

The JBL audio in my '89 Towncar now, still sounds decent at low vol, it was killer in its day. Stock JBL head unit with factory CD player.
    The stock Sony audio in my '18 SHO is mediocre at best. I have used the term dogshit to describe mediocre before ; ;
    The stock THX system in my '15 Navigator booms because of the volume of interior space of that tub.

Chris
    Last edited by cbala; 07-22-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Oh man, Boston made great car speakers back in the day. I had their SL95's in my Grand Am and loved them. Had their 4x6 plate stuff too if I remember right. They couldn't handle bass, needed a pretty steep HPF but when done right, pure bliss man.

Replace the headunit in your '89 with something modern and watch that soundstage open up and become dynamic. The JBL amp and speakers are still top notch to this day. Keep the factory stuff as you've got the ultra rare CD player. I've got one in my basement amidst my secret stash..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast