No announcement yet.

A cool throwback..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't exist for the football amp. The wiring to that is different than the square amps. 3 wires in, 4 out. Modern radios need 4 wires for 2 speakers.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by cbala View Post
      Thanks for the nice words, yep has the auto-dimming mirror. I actually took the original out and have it on the side and put the next gen in there from a 90+. The originals were gen1 and partly mechanical, with a belt drive in there that get dodgy over time and rarely works right. The later one is all electronic and works perfect and still looks period. Plug and play and works works fine with the highbeam auto dim eye. Always have the original in the parts inventory

Only options it was not ordered with were the aluminum wire wheels, thank goodness as what gets me going are the turbines and it has the open rear/no dual exhaust so no tow package. There is a replacement exhaust on there that was done from the looks of it over 10yrs ago, so when it goes it will get the duals.

Saw pics of your car, verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice example you have there and its nice to see it kept in that condition.

Chris
      You're welcome. I've got two or three of the first gen auto dimming mirrors too. At least one works perfectly but I didn't know it was an electro-mechanical deal. I'll have to keep an eye out for a 2nd gen or two. Although my car doesn't have that option.

The wire wheels wouldn't look right on that car, I think they look best on ragtop equipped Lincolns. The lacy spokes would look a bit more prestigious than the turbines, not to mention the Fords and Mercurys could also be had with turbines so there's a bit of exclusivity with lacy spokes.

Thank you! I gave my car duals along with a trac-lok. The exhaust was done at some point yet looked crappy with the tip it had and what not. I added trac-lok because.. I planned on making it a daily driver. Luckily I came to my senses and it's been a garage queen. It has seen snow, but no salt. We love cruising around in it, that's for sure.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Doesn't exist for the football amp. The wiring to that is different than the square amps. 3 wires in, 4 out. Modern radios need 4 wires for 2 speakers.
        Well.....shit.
        Suggestions.?
        I'd like to upgrade my head unit..and this is not gonna work.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

do you want just a radio or an amp with it? if its just the radio, use the stock wires to feed the rear speakers.
          run new wires from the radio to the dash speakers, but leave the existing wires connected as well
          unplug the amp in the trunk

thats it. the stock wiring will connect the dash to the door speakers.

If you want to run an amp in the trunk, connect the front amp output to the wires going from the stock amp to the front speakers
          connect new wires from the amp rear output to the rear speakers.
          unplug the old amp

you're on your own for getting power and signal wires to the amp in the trunk but thats not all that hard honestly. Mostly just pulling the door sill trim up to run the wiring under the carpet and then fishing it up under the rear seat.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

...you're on your own for getting power and signal wires to the amp in the trunk but thats not all that hard honestly. Mostly just pulling the door sill trim up to run the wiring under the carpet and then fishing it up under the rear seat.
            I think a good option here is to harvest a signal harness from a late '87 to 89 box Townie. Those have all the wires needed for that, even a feeble power supply wire. Although I wouldn't trust that to run a modern amp. But the cool thing about that harness is they make adaptors that make it work with aftermarket stuff and they've got their own sheath to keep all the wires safe & together.

Comment

even if you used one of those it would be the same bother of routing, plus need for adapters at each end. 2 pairs of RCA cables would be less inconvenient. Needs the power cable anyway. Also saves the trouble of finding a 30 year old car in the junkyard to harvest a proprietary cable from.

Comment

I personally would go with a whole new sterio system instead of trying to get an old one to work, I did that in my CV and I am happy with what I did.

Comment

even if you used one of those it would be the same bother of routing, plus need for adapters at each end. 2 pairs of RCA cables would be less inconvenient. Needs the power cable anyway. Also saves the trouble of finding a 30 year old car in the junkyard to harvest a proprietary cable from.
                  Everything I do is convoluted. I'm used to adding more steps than necessary.

Comment

I do that sometimes, but only if there is some deeper goal of avoiding work or the need to buy some component. The JBL install in the Conti uses the specific stuff it does purely because it let me not find the late style cable. The downside is that it required construction of a completely proprietary adapter that no sane human would ever need, so basically its one of many Tigger parts on that car.

Comment

A lot of times for me, it's because "this is what I've got on hand and I don't want to go to stores or wait on shipping" type deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X