No announcement yet.

A cool throwback..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a decent looking stereo! Very similar to the Sony I put in my Townie. I wanted to go the Alpine route but for whatever reason they go back and forth over customizing backlighting and such with their single din radios. Annoying.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That DEH-P825 was the head unit I had, found the box in the basement the other day with the sleeve I guess I didn't need to use back then! No radio unfortunately, got traded in for a Mark VIII... Oh well, wish I had it...

Chris

Comment

The 825 was a beast. It had lots of features that are common today, but not back then.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yep, that was my clean sound sound days. Ran 4 Boston Acoustics right off the head unit with a small powered bazooka tube in the trunk. Was tonally pleasing to me with the acoustic stuff I listen too. Best setup I had all the way to up my '16 MKX with the Revel audio...

And when the car manufacturers went to the giant double-DIN radios I lost interest..

The JBL audio in my '89 Towncar now, still sounds decent at low vol, it was killer in its day. Stock JBL head unit with factory CD player.
          The stock Sony audio in my '18 SHO is mediocre at best. I have used the term dogshit to describe mediocre before ; ;
          The stock THX system in my '15 Navigator booms because of the volume of interior space of that tub.

Chris
          Last edited by cbala; 07-22-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Oh man, Boston made great car speakers back in the day. I had their SL95's in my Grand Am and loved them. Had their 4x6 plate stuff too if I remember right. They couldn't handle bass, needed a pretty steep HPF but when done right, pure bliss man.

Replace the headunit in your '89 with something modern and watch that soundstage open up and become dynamic. The JBL amp and speakers are still top notch to this day. Keep the factory stuff as you've got the ultra rare CD player. I've got one in my basement amidst my secret stash..

Comment

The '89 is unmolested at this point, it is my nostalgic ride, the stock head unit just looks proper in the dash. Good enough for the amount of ass time the seat gets...

Chris

Comment

Can't beat the look, I'll give you that. WHy i went with my Sony deck. If you look at the CD player closely, you'll see it's made by Sony. I wouldn't bother putting another stereo system in a car, especially if it already was JBL equipped.

We need pics of this '89 of yours. Digi dash?

Comment

Yep, digi dash Cartier w/rare cloth interior and sunroof...

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/album.php?albumid=429

Chris
                  Last edited by cbala; 07-22-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

That one sure is nice. Townies look great at dusk with the lights on. Coach lamps are sweet. That album lacks interior pics though, gotta see that dash and factory integrated CD player. I only ever saw one in person and that was a junkyard, I made sure to help myself to the JBL goodies.

Comment

Yeah....that car is gorgeous.
                      The level of class that was prevalent in these cars has since morphed into ambiguity...
                      I appreciate the respect you're giving to such a great machine.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Added a few interior pics I had handy. Funny, was at a stoplight the other day and looked down the odo was at exactly 88k. Had to take that pic. 89k would be more appropriate I guess. The dash on these at night lights up like a Christmas tree with all the green and the buttons for the digi computer. Always loved that.

Sorry to hijack the original thread, great memories there...

Chris
                        Last edited by cbala; 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                          I've been debating swapping the head unit out in my '86.
                          Anybody ever bypass the football amp entirely.?
                          I'd like to power my speakers differently...
                          I bought a bypass harness plug and play I think it was either a Metra or Scosche for the 89 TC.
                          I did that when I replaced the head unit a few years ago. Everything went well.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                            Yeah....that car is gorgeous.
                            The level of class that was prevalent in these cars has since morphed into ambiguity...
                            I appreciate the respect you're giving to such a great machine.
                            Indeed. I love the lines and the warmth of the interiors. It's all plastic, corporate and cold nowadays. They feel like sophisticated go-karts.

Originally posted by cbala View Post
                            Added a few interior pics I had handy. Funny, was at a stoplight the other day and looked down the odo was at exactly 88k. Had to take that pic. 89k would be more appropriate I guess. The dash on these at night lights up like a Christmas tree with all the green and the buttons for the digi computer. Always loved that.

Sorry to hijack the original thread, great memories there...

Chris
                            Love the new pics! Damn fine car there, never seen one so nice. Even nicer than mine. I'd keep that one all stock too. Seems to have every option!! Does it have the auto dimming mirror? Those were kind of trick, Ashley's Townie had that. Love the digital dash. Before I bought my '88 I swore if I got a Town Car, it would have to have that option. Family friend had one with it growing up and I loved it. But the one I acquired came up through a good friend and the price was too good to pass up on it for what it was and so I've got an analog dash Townie. Funny because I saw lots of Town Cars back in the day growing up, NEVER saw one without the digi dash until I started raiding junk yards as a teen. Cue up the scene from The Big Lebowski where the one blonde guy gives the dude a whirly and then holds up his bowling ball and goes, "What the fuck is this??" My reaction exactly when I first saw one. But sitting in that Townie at age 18 with it's ugly and dirty white interior, I knew I'd have one and I'd rock it some day.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            I bought a bypass harness plug and play I think it was either a Metra or Scosche for the 89 TC.
                            I've got one of those lying around and yep, it connects the input harness to the output harness as a direct bypass. Don't know if they've got one for the ole foot ball.

Comment

Thanks for the nice words, yep has the auto-dimming mirror. I actually took the original out and have it on the side and put the next gen in there from a 90+. The originals were gen1 and partly mechanical, with a belt drive in there that get dodgy over time and rarely works right. The later one is all electronic and works perfect and still looks period. Plug and play and works works fine with the highbeam auto dim eye. Always have the original in the parts inventory

Only options it was not ordered with were the aluminum wire wheels, thank goodness as what gets me going are the turbines and it has the open rear/no dual exhaust so no tow package. There is a replacement exhaust on there that was done from the looks of it over 10yrs ago, so when it goes it will get the duals.

Saw pics of your car, verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice example you have there and its nice to see it kept in that condition.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                                I kinda figured somebody made one. Scosche made a ton of plugs..
                                I'll be looking for one now.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X