Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel specs for my 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis

Hi guys,

I've searched this thread and other info on the 'net the past few days, and there's a lot of info on the later Panthers. I'm not sure if the box cars up to 1991 have the same wheel specs as my earlier car. If the info is posted but I didn't find it, please forgive me.

If you guys would be so kind, can you let me know what diameter, width, and backspace are needed for the wheels and a compatible tire size. I'd like to get a wheel/tire combo that will really fill the wheelwells out nicely. My current 15" wheels seem a bit small. I'd like to get the tire tucked into the wheelhouse without the large gap now seen from the top of the tire into the whellhouse. I realize I may have to lower the car a bit to accomplish this, but I'd like to avoid doing this, if at all possible.

One last question...will I need to change the speedometer driven gear to keep the speedometer accurate? I've seen other reference charts that list tire diameter and revolutions per mile, so if I don't go too big, I think it may be possible to retain the current speedo gear. I'd like your thoughts on this.

Thanks, and I'm glad to be a part of this cool community that recognizes the cars I've loved my entire life.

TheMercMan

wheel specs are the same for all panthers from 79-97 (though 14s won't fit on 95-97 IIRC).

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...85-Wheel-specs

tl;dr: Stock size: 5x114.3(4.5) 15" 6.5 centered backspacing

17 inch wheels have a good selection of tires. It's a common upgrade.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
    X