PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kishy's Ranger Trailer

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

hm, not familiar with that diff or it's construction. Didn't know they ran anything smaller than a 7.5" honestly.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Looks killer!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Looks cool. I'd like to have you build one for my truck
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Looks cool. I'd like to have you build one for my truck
    I saw a GMT400 trailer for sale... then realized I was searching in California.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3991820672928/
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-27-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

all the CFI are belong to me

Got the plate and ownership, just need to find a way to put the government-assigned VIN onto it somewhere. Also overlooked a thing in the FMVSS/CMVSS...not only are front side reflectors required, but also front side marker lights. Easy to add, just annoying since I did a brand new harness for this and it would have been easier to integrate knowing I had to put wires there to begin with.

About the diff...depending on where you look, there are references to a "6.7 inch", "6.75 inch", or "6-7/8 inch" Ford diff in a number of vehicles.
    I asked a guy I know who's very knowledgeable on Rangers and he said that he knew someone who had the 6.7" diff under a Ranger-based postal truck, but it had been swapped out for one of the more normal axles.

I had assumed the trailer began as a 1988-1992 on the basis of the tailgate on it. Of course, the history of the thing overall is unknown.
    My shop manual doesn't mention any rear diff other than the 7.5 and 8.8.
    RockAuto doesn't give me any diff cover gaskets for anything except a 7.5 or 8.8 unless I go back to 1983 and 1984 - no newer than that. For 83 and 84 I do see bearings, gasket, etc for a 6.7" rear end.

Some historical stuff from a foreign, but US-centric perspective: https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?t=69291

Not that it matters, really, the diff is of no real importance. It just strikes me as odd that such a mass produced vehicle could have such a seemingly little known major component under it. Sort of like the Panthers with the weird 8.5" rear end.

I'd still like to figure out how to get the axle shafts out but am not planning on actually doing it now. Carrier is weird-looking, to me, coming from the perspective of only knowing the 7.5 and 8.8.

Edit several hours later:
    Aha, knowledge is power!
    It is a "6.75 inch" diff, and I found the following.

The bearing has an inner and outer race, the shaft doesn't ride on the rollers, so that's cool.

From a drag reduction standpoint, seems the best option is to delete the ring gear but leave all else. However this would greatly reduce splash lubrication and might then cause the bearings at the ends (the most important ones) to be starved for oil. I may just leave it alone entirely until/unless it becomes problematic at which point I'd throw a trailer axle under it. Just thinking about fuel economy here, really. That being said, maybe an axle which, due to dragging the ring gear through oil, wants to slow down by itself might help with things like trailer sway by a tiny amount.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-28-2020 at 12:26 AM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    I saw a GMT400 trailer for sale... then realized I was searching in California.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3991820672928/
    Wow, that's a short box too. Based on what kishy said though, the long box variant is what you'd like. Although hell, I'd still buy that and swap the boxes- it's much cleaner than mine and a box like that would probably go for at least $400 around here. Sometimes Commiefornia has it's perks.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Got the plate and ownership, just need to find a way to put the government-assigned VIN onto it somewhere. Also overlooked a thing in the FMVSS/CMVSS...not only are front side reflectors required, but also front side marker lights. Easy to add, just annoying since I did a brand new harness for this and it would have been easier to integrate knowing I had to put wires there to begin with...

...From a drag reduction standpoint, seems the best option is to delete the ring gear but leave all else. However this would greatly reduce splash lubrication and might then cause the bearings at the ends (the most important ones) to be starved for oil. I may just leave it alone entirely until/unless it becomes problematic at which point I'd throw a trailer axle under it. Just thinking about fuel economy here, really. That being said, maybe an axle which, due to dragging the ring gear through oil, wants to slow down by itself might help with things like trailer sway by a tiny amount.
    That does suck about the wiring.. Yeah, you don't want to delete the ring gear, that is everything gets lube. That thing even carries & flings lube to the pinion gear and sends it down the axle tubes. Also, those bro's who put those flat back aftermarket covers on their diffs are doing a disservice to themselves and the diff, they only increase shear and heat generation. Couldn't you just use "make-a-gasket-schmoo" in place of a traditional gasket? Or find a posi unit for your truck and then put that diff on the trailer? Seems like a lot of work for an obscure rear end.

fomoco panthers !

Regarding the vin # You may have to have a new one issued for it. In the US people take their vehicle to either the DMV/state police or highway patrol. There is a vin officer who can issue a new vin and vin plate. There might be a basic inspection involved and bring any paperwork /bill of sale with you.
    You will have to make an appointment.

RE: the rear end, my initial goal was just to find out if it might have been better than what's in the truck. The truck has a 3.45:1 open 7.5". I am not sure if the 7.5 is actually better than the 6.75"...it seems like the 6.75" is a more robust design versus the cost-cheapened 7.5 and 8.8 (which are basically the same except for size). But the 6.75 is neither limited slip, nor a better ratio (it's either 3.08 or 3.45), so it will stay where it is. The bearings seem to be healthy so I'm going to run it until it fails somehow then put a lighter, non-diff-equipped trailer axle under it if/when that happens. I did just use RTV to make the cover gasket, if it leaks I will revisit it with the proper gasket.

RE: VIN, in Ontario it's much easier. Home-built utility trailers are the "exception" vehicle in Ontario which are significantly easier than anything else. No inspection of any kind, no verification that the trailer even exists at all. People register commercially built trailers with lost paperwork or damaged VIN plates (for whatever reason, certainly sometimes illegitimate) as home-built all the time (not that it's right). The new ownership (our equivalent to a title, but we don't call them that, it is a combined concept of registration and title together) has a newly generated VIN number given on it. I am supposed to then etch/engrave/stamp/paint/whatever the new VIN somewhere on the trailer, but everyone I've talked to with a home built trailer has never done it. I will, because I'm just that sort of person.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

In Texas you can register a "home built trailer" without a VIN for anything less than 4000 pound gross vehicle weight. Over 4000 pounds requires vin and safety inspection (re: trailer brakes). My F150 bed trailer does not have a registered vin, just a license plate.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Press-on bearings with retainer plates is the better mousetrap. Explains why there is no cross-pin to remove though, no C clips so no need to pull the pin to access them.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

My '94 had a 3.73 in it. My brother's '95 or '96 had a 4.11 in it. I'm not sure which rear gear you're looking to upgrade to but the 4.11 is the winner in my book. You won't notice anything if you move from a 3.45 to 3.73. I moved from a 2.73 open to a 3.23 limited slip in my Firebird and I barely notice the difference aside from no more peg legged burnouts.

I actually have no interest in changing the gearing, it's pretty well perfect. Truck is pretty quick. It's also just on the edge of tolerable for highway NVH, and I have no interest in making it rev higher. It also gets reasonable fuel economy even when going obscenely beyond the speed limit (hypothetically). However, if by chance the diff in the trailer were a limited slip 7.5, I would absolutely be putting it in the truck. But limited slip 7.5s aren't terribly common so here we are.

Installed amber side markers with combined reflectors. If I get bored enough one day, I will graft in a section of front fender to accommodate the truck front side markers on the trailer...but I'll need to be quite bored for that.

Also bought new tail lights, as they're 11 dollars Canadian each. New ones went onto the Ranger, the 5-year-old ones on the Ranger got bumped onto the Trailer. The lenses on the trailer were in poor shape and headlight restoration stuff didn't help.

License plate is installed, and I also added a document holder (like on large commercial trailers) to stash a photocopy of the ownership in. Picked up a coupler lock as well.

My brother's truck got better MPG than mine did. Oh wait, you don't have an M5ODR1 behind that engine, do you? If no OD, then yah, keep that axle. Just bought a '79 G10 Sport Van with a 3.08 in it, I have no intention of changing the rear gears.

I hear you on the highway NVH. Little bangers will wind up but my ears don’t like it for four hours at 70MPH.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

single biggest reason for not liking 4 cyl engines is the highway noise they all seem to make. Shame there aren't more I6 engines.

I don't really remember mine making too much of racket and I was always doing 70-80mph. Don't remember much vibration either. Of course, I kept a full exhaust on it and in stock form. I miss that truck, was pretty cool. It was just terribly slow, especially with the A/C on and people in the cab. The 3.0 is where it was at, comparable MPG but a good amount of power and just as durable.

M5ODR1
    M5 trans appeared for 88...before that it was a choice of a couple Mitsubishi units and a 4 or 5 speed Toyo Kogyo (which is also Mazda...but is distinct from the M5 series). I have the TK5.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...transmissions/

TK5 is 3.96 / 2.07 / 1.39 / 1.00 / 0.84
    M5 is 3.72 / 2.20 / 1.50 / 1.00 / 0.79

Moved cars around in the driveway, seemed like I should try this combo out:

There is some air in the bags within the coil springs, but I haven't added any in many months. It definitely has more tongue weight capacity before sag than the Ranger...or maybe it's more accurate to say it weighs enough that the front doesn't lift from the weight of the trailer alone.

Don't worry, all of the AOD vehicles will get big trans coolers before actually towing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    M5 trans appeared for 88...before that it was a choice of a couple Mitsubishi units and a 4 or 5 speed Toyo Kogyo (which is also Mazda...but is distinct from the M5 series). I have the TK5.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...transmissions/

TK5 is 3.96 / 2.07 / 1.39 / 1.00 / 0.84
    M5 is 3.72 / 2.20 / 1.50 / 1.00 / 0.79
    Hmm, I like the TK5's ratios better for 4 banger use, all aside from 3rd gear that is. But I'm willing to bet lots of food and beverage a 4.11 would net you better MPG in the city, (maaaybe highway too) and it would be easier for that Ranger to pull the battle axe (trailer) around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12