Oil Pump Priming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pump Priming

Don't remember where I read it, but when I prime the oil pump, don't I prime it counter clockwise until I see oil come out of the rockers and pressure at the gauge; then do a 1/4 turn on the engine and keep priming; repeat the turning and priming for 1 revolution? Since I can't open the driver side valve cover, will that method suffice if only looking at the passenger side valve cover?

Yes. drill in reverse. Cannot answer your other questions. I did mine on a stand with valve covers absent. I did not rotate anything. Maybe I should have.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Run it counter clockwise. The orientation of the crank should not matter because the lifter bores are fed direct from the pump. Just run the drill long enough and you will pump it out of all the pushrods. The relief cut in the lifter will allow oil to flow around it so it's position in the bore will not cut off oil supply.

Comment

^^^^^^THanks Jeff I hope just looking at the passenger side valve cover will suffice for the other side; which is crammed into the wiper motor box.^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Yes. drill in reverse. Cannot answer your other questions. I did mine on a stand with valve covers absent. I did not rotate anything. Maybe I should have.
          Well, your engine has been running, quite well from the sound of it. Whatever you did worked.

Comment

I did it with a hand crank and a 5/16" socket on a locking extension. It helped bleed all the lifters and get oil to the covers. Drill will work too. But be careful not to burn it out. Corded drill works best.

Comment

You'll know pretty quick when its making pressure. The drill will bog down. if its a crappy drill, just run it until the smoke starts to come out. Won't take very long.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                You'll know pretty quick when its making pressure. The drill will bog down. if its a crappy drill, just run it until the smoke starts to come out. Won't take very long.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                X