AOD Performance Rebuild Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Performance Rebuild Thread

Hey all- I have another thread in which I'm planning a 400ish HP (at the crank) build. I'm also planning to build up a 1992 AOD. I have the core. There's a guy in Delaware that does performance rebuilds of AOD's for $750 labor. Here are the kits im considering:

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...-steel-drum-2/

and

http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/kits.html#kitaod450 The 450 kit, and get a hardened input shaft

Any other recommendations are welcome. I'm also planning on using a Silverfox valve body with this, and a new torque converter that wont balloon when spinning 5500 RPM.

Am I overbuilding, thoughts?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I recently did mine. Silverfox SPT-R and a 2400 converter. I added the Sonnax race OD servo. I didn't add the hardened shaft. I'll be on street tires and no plans to race the car at all. The tires will slip before the shaft breaks....I hope.
    Things I did NOT like about the stock AOD:
    Chicken soup shifting. You never know what you're going to get.
    Upshifted at the worst time for my driving style, forcing downshifts and harder work for the engine.
    No real provision for controlling anything. Put it in D or OD and hope.
    Would not HOLD OD for any acceleration. I tried adjusting the TV with no real noticeable change.
    All this made sense because the car was designed to just get in and be comfortable.
    Things I like about the AOD with the Silverfox valve body:
    It shifts like a new cop car on too much coffee.
    The 1-2 is timed better without having to run it hard. If I'm at light throttle, I get a normal shift.
    The 2-3 is where it should have been.
    It holds OD so well, the car is much more pleasurable to drive.
    The switch is great for country roads. Leave the OD off, drive. Just go man...
    When I'm coming into a corner hot and braking, it's pretty damn cool to flip the switch and get the chirp of the downshift
    from the drivers side tire. Puts me in the right place to come out of the corner right in the power.
    The converter made this...perfect for me.
    I'm excited to see how it'll be with this 347. I'll be knocking on 400 hp and tq so it should be...fun.
    Good luck with your trans.
    Pix here with crossmember and mount pix.. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...V-Coupe/page11
    Last edited by clutch47; 07-27-2020, 09:14 AM.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Nice! Was looking through your thread,
      You’re not far from me. Who did you use to do the trans rebuild/what rebuild kit did they use, and how much did they charge out of curiosity. I’m not locked into anyone as far as the rebuild, and I want it done right.

I read lots of stories of mustang guys downshifting out of OD and snapping the input shaft on the highway, even with moderate throttle, so cheap insurance
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Clutch- What made you decide to go with the pro-torque converter? There are so many options to choose from, im not sure what brand to go with.
        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Clutch- What made you decide to go with the pro-torque converter? There are so many options to choose from, im not sure what brand to go with.
          My choice was based on my transmission guy. I've never been the big brand name kinda guy, so when he called me and we talked about it...he said that's what he ran in his car. I trust his personal experience far more than any amount of stars on an internet rating.
          I can definitely confirm how much better the car works with the converter.
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
            My choice was based on my transmission guy. I've never been the big brand name kinda guy, so when he called me and we talked about it...he said that's what he ran in his car. I trust his personal experience far more than any amount of stars on an internet rating.
            I can definitely confirm how much better the car works with the converter.
            I totally understand that! I’m going to add it as a top contender for my build. I’ll also consult whoever I have do my trans rebuild as well. Not to get off topic, but I was actually at Knoebels a few weeks ago!
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Are you still planning on having a trans built Phil?

I have a Lentech Street Terminator laying around with hardly any miles on it, and a WR-AOD with I believe a lentech valvebody that was in the old HPP box. Both gotta go.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Hi Zach, yes I am. The street terminator doesn't have a lockup converter because of the one piece shaft, but I might be interested in WR-AOD. I'll send you a PM
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know if a Wide Ratio AOD uses a different input shaft and torque converter?
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

doesn't have to. So far as I understand it the planetary set and the input arrangement are not directly related.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Excellent- Looks like I'll be buying Zachs WR-AOD. I'm between the pro-torque converter, and this one:

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...allspeed-copy/

The 2500RPM stall one. It's funny how some have a massive stall range, and others just put a static number. I realize why, due to different engine torques, weight, gears etc, it just makes it difficult to choose one properly.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

yeah, still gonna be +/-. Curious where the static number is, max, min, or somewhere in the middle. That makes it even more difficult to compare things. The bigger variable is probably quality though. If the converter is crap or fails, you got nothin.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats for sure, Edge Torque converters get good reviews, looks like it might be custom built based on this: http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...d-aod-p-1.html
                          and about the same price as the pro torque
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I know this much... just having a good shift kit in an AOD sure makes it hella more fun than the stock setup.

Also, WR-AOD makes red light launches fun with a lopo. I imagine a good built engine would be a smoke fest.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              I know this much... just having a good shift kit in an AOD sure makes it hella more fun than the stock setup.

Also, WR-AOD makes red light launches fun with a lopo. I imagine a good built engine would be a smoke fest.
                              PERFECT. I read a bunch of mustang posts of how it made little to no difference. Including a few people whose 1/4 mile times didnt change...I bet their 1/8 mile times improved though. Smoke shows can always be fixed with stickier tires
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X