No announcement yet.

Tiggie’s 2000 F-350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to throw some spark plugs in this to round out the routine maintenance baseline. I have been avoiding it from all the horror stories.

Everything went fine. Haven't fired it up yet but got them all out and back in and torqued. I went to 24 lb-ft which is certainly more than it calls for (I think it is supposed to be 12).

Been working on halting the inside bed rust issues. Decided to use Ospho to neutralize the rust. It also loosened the DIY roll on bedliner from the PO which was holding moisture to the rust. So the bottom of the bed got two coats of epoxy and two coats of hot rod black urethane leftover from the Rustang. At some point in the future, I will cut out the rust and fix the bed the right way. The truck will probably lose the gooseneck hitch and welded frame plate at that time as well.

Here's a before pic:

No after pic but it's painted and protected now instead of being covered with rubberized non-waterproof yet water retaining coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Preservation!

Lately I have found that I am itching for another truck project. Unfortunately for me the dentsides have gone wild in price over the past 18 months.

Soon though. I miss a bench seat, crank windows, (2) sticks and (3) pedals.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        Preservation!

Lately I have found that I am itching for another truck project. Unfortunately for me the dentsides have gone wild in price over the past 18 months.

Soon though. I miss a bench seat, crank windows, (2) sticks and (3) pedals.
        The two sticks is awesome. No matter the situation, I get to chose exactly what gear I want! The power windows in this have given me some grief but they are nice with the four doors. A dent crew cab would be cool... but the proportions of a regular cab dentside are hard to beat.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Found an Excursion to rob parts from yesterday.

Got a cup holder to replace the undefined hole in the console. Also swapped the "clip" that looks like a console lid latch but isn't. Color matched instead of degrading black plastic.

Before

After

The only trouble I've had out of this is the 1 in 5 starts random cold start misfire after a few seconds of running fine. I get codes for misfire on cylinders 2-10, Mode 6 in Forscan tells me #1 has a 1.67% misfire and 0% on 2-10. Shut it off and restart and it's flawless. I'm leaning towards the PCM on the cause.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Is the clip for contractors paperworks?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Is the clip for contractors paperworks?
              I would guess? The console itself isn't wide enough to be used as a clipboard but it could be used to just hold paperwork.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Had some random misfires on my S10, found cracked insulation on the ignition coil that allowed it to randomly arc through to the frame. Single coil of course but same basic issue. I found mine by starting it in the dark and looking for the lightning under the hood.
                That is exactly what the 2.8L in my old S-10 did. I could hear it arcing; but I didn't see it until I popped the hood one night. I took the leftover Taylor DIY plug wires I had for Putter Project and assembled a new coil wire and the problem was solved.

Comment

Put new ends on the battery cables today. Got the stuff on eBay from a seller named gaugewireandcable.

Bye bye horrible bolt on terminals. I hate these!

Hello soldered terminals with heat shrink.

I have tried to buy new cables but the Ford ones are unobtainable and aftermarket aren't right (one cable instead of two for the positive).

It cranks much better now. Sounds normal instead of like a dying battery all the time.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

never been a fan of those bolt down things. The Conti has some aftermarket crimped-on heavy copper ends which are really nice but I'm sure thats an expensive tool.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Chinesium hand pump hydraulic cable crimpers are something like 50 bucks Canadian on the amazon.ca, .com oughta be cheaper yet.

Comment

Yeah... those hydraulic cable crimpers aren't too spendy. Not exactly cheap though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have seen "already made" cables that have proven to be of a very high quality so in many cases, there is little need to make our own cables.
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Yeah... replacing one or two cables... sure. If you have a fleet of shitboxes that need all the cables replaced... might be worth the buy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              Yeah... replacing one or two cables... sure. If you have a fleet of shitboxes that need all the cables replaced... might be worth the buy.
                              Absolutely - I did assume we were talking about DIY and not fleet service.
                              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Don't need to be working for a company to have a fleet of cars. Just look at some of the folks here that have gone through over 30 cars in the past 10 years. (check the what cars have you owned thread)

I have 3 vehicles myself. I got a cheap hammer strike crimper myself as I don't care if stuff "looks good" as long as it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X