Odometer/trip odometer not working on 90 Merc Grand Marq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer/trip odometer not working on 90 Merc Grand Marq

In our new 90 Grand Marq neither the trip or the regular odometer is working. Anyone know what could be wrong with it. could those stepper motors need to be replaced. Can they be replaced? my wife wants the ODO and trip to work.

Thanks
    Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

The plastic gears are known for disintegrating. Usually the motor gear and counter gears are fine, but the mating gears are usually the issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, prob plastic gear failure. Possibly also sticky lube on the odometer unit as well. my Mark VII had that issue, the gear was OK but the motor and the mechanism it drives were both stuck so it did not run. Fairly easy to determine, pull it open and you'll see if the gear is busted. Try turning the odometer, if its sticky, it will want a bit of clean and lube work to make sure it doesn't break a gear again.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X