Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Los Angeles area Mechanic Shops

Hi everyone,
    Im an owner of 1991 Marquis -I moved to LA couple years ago. I am having difficult time working on my car due to limited space and restrictions where i live.
    I would like to get my car serviced and taking care of somewhere knowledgeable, specially on these cars.

I would be grateful if you can recommend any shop or person that might help me on this in Torrance, CA area or if not, Greater Los Angeles area.

I see lots of shops in Torrance, CA area, maybe there might be a place someone aware of or had experience.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum.

I can not recommend any shops as I am in New York but I will say I vistited a bunch of junkyards out in LA last year june. Every now and then I travel out to our west coat field shop in sun valley and work out of there for special jobs.

Do you have a mass air grand marquis? It is a cali only thing for the 90 and 91 just curious.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!

I'm near Detroit, so not much help either.
      Haven't heard from knucklehead in a while, he's in SOCAL and might have some suggestions if he's not too far from you. Not really much regular members out that way.

Nice car! Crystal Blue Metallic? That's the color of The Ice Car, which I retired earlier this year. Although mine had a white top not the far more common dark blue top.

Post more pics, especially engine bay pics. We don't get to see many Cali/MAF boxes around here.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thank you !!
        Not sure about mass air grand marquis, but the car is originally from Canada, and made in Canada too. ( I believe in Ontario factory)

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Welcome to the forum.

I can not recommend any shops as I am in New York but I will say I vistited a bunch of junkyards out in LA last year june. Every now and then I travel out to our west coat field shop in sun valley and work out of there for special jobs.

Do you have a mass air grand marquis? It is a cali only thing for the 90 and 91 just curious.

Comment

Thank you,
          Yes, its Crystal Blue Metallic, and i really like it. This car took me all across country without any problems. it was a great experience.
          I'll check the person you've mentioned. I believe thats his username right ? knucklehead.

for the photos, considering its not Cali / MAF it wont be too interesting. But i'll add couple of photos and some from cross country trip from Toronto, ON to Portland, OR and to Los Angeles, CA

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01107.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1287279 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01114.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1287280 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01112.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1287281 - Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00409.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1287282 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00109-2.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1287283 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038-2.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1287284
          Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          Welcome!

I'm near Detroit, so not much help either.
          Haven't heard from knucklehead in a while, he's in SOCAL and might have some suggestions if he's not too far from you. Not really much regular members out that way.

Nice car! Crystal Blue Metallic? That's the color of The Ice Car, which I retired earlier this year. Although mine had a white top not the far more common dark blue top.

Post more pics, especially engine bay pics. We don't get to see many Cali/MAF boxes around here.

Comment

Still snap an engine pic. None of these cars were built in california. Just spec'd for it.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Still snap an engine pic. None of these cars were built in california. Just spec'd for it.
              99.9% sure it's going to be speed density this time, the speedometer in his first post is definitely a metric one.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

If you are a AAA member, I would start with going to a AAA shop at least to talk with them. They may know of someone who specialize in our vintage cars. One good thing about a AAA shop. They stand behind their work for a time and mileage period plus give a discount for parts and labor.
                With so many people in LA, one of the best ways is ask someone who has a really nice old car. Lots of old cars tucked away and rarely used in LA area. Car shows are another resource for making contacts. Who knows when cars shows will start up again.
                Yes Knucklehead was not too far from Torrance. I know he moved. We have not heard from him for awhile.

Comment

Thank you, that makes sense, and I'll look in to this.
                  Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  If you are a AAA member, I would start with going to a AAA shop at least to talk with them. They may know of someone who specialize in our vintage cars. One good thing about a AAA shop. They stand behind their work for a time and mileage period plus give a discount for parts and labor.
                  With so many people in LA, one of the best ways is ask someone who has a really nice old car. Lots of old cars tucked away and rarely used in LA area. Car shows are another resource for making contacts. Who knows when cars shows will start up again.
                  Yes Knucklehead was not too far from Torrance. I know he moved. We have not heard from him for awhile.

Yes, it is metric.
                  Originally posted by [COLOR=#333333
                  99.9% sure it's going to be speed density this time, the speedometer in his first post is definitely a metric one.[/COLOR]
                  ok, i'll get couple of pics. will post it tonight or tomorrow.
                  Originally posted by [COLOR=#333333
                  Still snap an engine pic. None of these cars were built in california. Just spec'd for it.[/COLOR]

Comment

Here is couple of pics.

Name:	DSC00048.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1287285Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00066.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1287288Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00060.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1287289 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00032.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1287286Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00024.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1287287

Comment

Yup. Speed density. Nice and clean 5.slo too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Haven't heard from knucklehead in a while, he's in SOCAL and might have some suggestions if he's not too far from you.
                        ok, i would like to at least send a PM to knuklehead
                        but i wanted to confirm if his user name is knucklehead0202
                        I didnt wanna send pm to wrong person.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                          99.9% sure it's going to be speed density this time, the speedometer in his first post is definitely a metric one.

That detail slipped past me.
                          ~David~

Comment

Whats up gnlkrmz, nice Grand Marquis.

If you're looking for someone knowledgeable in the LA area I recommend Albert at TBD Performance in South Gate.

The majority of his clientele are Foxbody owners but he knows the Windsor platform very well.

I have nothing but good things to say about him and his work.

He's helping me and my dad put together a H/C/I engine for my dads 91 Grand Marquis.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with too.

I'm about 60 minutes away from you in Ventura County.

Cheers
                            1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                            1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Originally posted by gnlkrmz View Post
                              ok, i would like to at least send a PM to knuklehead
                              but i wanted to confirm if his user name is knucklehead0202
                              I didnt wanna send pm to wrong person.
                              That's him. I haven't seen any posts from him in a couple months, but he visits here more than anyone else in that area of California as far as I know. Edit: oh, sluggish91 appears to be in the area as well.

Your engine bay looks like it has been taken care of or at least not totally neglected like most of these cars.
                              What is that riveted(?) to the passenger side of the radiator support?

If you find decent junk yards in the area you can get the fan shroud with coolant overflow tank, separate/dedicated washer fluid tank, intake tube and air cleaner box from 1990-1991 CV/MGM and it will bolt right in. It really makes the engine bay look neat.
                              You can also get the same setup from a 1990 (one year only) Town Car, but the washer fluid tank does not bolt up properly in a CV/MGM (but gets the job done). Unfortunately that's the only local option for the rest of us.
                              Pics of my engine bays with the 1990 TC fan shroud/intake tube swap. The first 3 are from The Scab, before I removed the stock air cleaner box bracket.

Name:	30002820248_7730124437_o.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1287291

Name:	43155057634_693cf9df2d_o.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1287292

Name:	43155058424_f4dd4ae48b_o.jpg