Windshield ss revel moulding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield ss revel moulding

So the NYC area suffered some crazy rain during the aftermath of the hurricane last week
    Today I went to the car to sadly discover that the passenger side of the windshield reveal molding was sticking up from the body of the glass about one inch..........I attempted to push it back down but every time I would "slam" either of the doors closed (Tudor) the molding would pop up again;-(

So did some kind of clip or attachment under the ss rot out??

Weathered in NYC;-(

Sounds like the clips are rotted. Do you have the 3 piece front windshield trim or the 2 piece, (2 "L" shaped pieces? WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Three pieces........one long piece going across the windshield, two side pieces going down the "A" pillar.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      Sounds like the clips are rotted. Do you have the 3 piece front windshield trim or the 2 piece, (2 "L" shaped pieces? WagonMan

Comment

Should be these

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Wi...cpf65-1120.htm

I think those are pretty standard clips
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like the 2 piece ones better. Even if the clips are rotted, the moldings seem to stay on longer/
          WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

So. how do I keep the side molding down?.......I have no tool to remove them;-(.........glue?

Comment

Thain, how does one replace them?
              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Should be these

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Wi...cpf65-1120.htm

I think those are pretty standard clips

Comment

I would take it to a windshield or body shop. They have the tool, they may have the clips. Let the pro do it. I don't know how I did it but I cracked a windshield many years ago. I had the tool, was working my way around then CRACK. Expensive oops.
                I have used the clipsandfasteners.com people. A OK.

Comment

IIRC, the clip just wedges in a slot and pinches the molding to the body and retains it by the lip of the molding. Replacing the clips would probably sort it, but a dab of windshield glue would definitely hold it down. Removing it if the windshield needed to be replaced after that would be a PITA though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes Tom that would be the way to go...I will get to it....have been running around securing a new garage for my Studebaker, the house where it was for over 20 years was sold. I have been thinking long and hard about selling it......maybe 53 years of ownership is enough??? LOL But i do have to get that molding taken care of.
                    Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    I would take it to a windshield or body shop. They have the tool, they may have the clips. Let the pro do it. I don't know how I did it but I cracked a windshield many years ago. I had the tool, was working my way around then CRACK. Expensive oops.
                    I have used the clipsandfasteners.com people. A OK.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Sly, I have to call around and find a window place, always something.
                      Originally posted by sly View Post
                      IIRC, the clip just wedges in a slot and pinches the molding to the body and retains it by the lip of the molding. Replacing the clips would probably sort it, but a dab of windshield glue would definitely hold it down. Removing it if the windshield needed to be replaced after that would be a PITA though.

Comment

There is basically a rivet head sticking out of the body that the clip snaps on to. That U shaped slot in the middle is what goes over the rivet. Once the clip is in, it sticks past the body a bit and the moulding snaps onto that. The clips do not glue in place. The only trick is if the body is rotted where the clips attach. At that point you have deeper issues.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sadly the top of the passenger side "A" pillar has "rot" issues.
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          There is basically a rivet head sticking out of the body that the clip snaps on to. That U shaped slot in the middle is what goes over the rivet. Once the clip is in, it sticks past the body a bit and the moulding snaps onto that. The clips do not glue in place. The only trick is if the body is rotted where the clips attach. At that point you have deeper issues.

Comment

I am free Monday and Tuesday. If you want to drive the car on over to me I can help you out. I have removal tool and likely some trim retaining clips. You can pm me if interested. Near the queens side of the Whitestone bridge.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My car had rot in that area. It now has part of a 1982 Towncar there.

Comment

Working...
                              X