Battery hold down Hwdr 1986 MGM Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery hold down Hwdr 1986 MGM Tudor

So I replaced the battery in the car last week. The hold down rods and upper hold down fell apart.

Where can I get all that came with the car when new?

Do you have the length of the rods ? I have some nos rods. still in the box. I have black plastic battery hold downs too however they are for the small battery.

Comment

Tom one rod is no longer there, the other is frozen below the battery tray:-(
      I had the shop put in the smaller battery, shorter in height.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      Do you have the length of the rods ? I have some nos rods. still in the box. I have black plastic battery hold downs too however they are for the small battery.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I have. Length is 7 1/4 in.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1287302 from bottom of hook to top. Ford part number is F0VY-10757-B (bolt). I have a couple of different types of plastic hold downs. This one shown is D4FZ-10718-A For a battery case that is 6 3/4 " wide.

Comment

Tom I will go out tomorrow morning and measure the size of the battery. I think they put in a group 24 battery but will know more tomorrow.

Many thanks!!!

Comment

Tom I sent you a pm; but these are the numbers:

Interstate Model MT-36-R
            10 and 1/4" wide
            7 and 7/8th inches deep
            7 inches in height.

Comment

Tom according to the Interstate site the measurements are a bit different.

10 3/8 wide
              7 1/4 deep
              8 1/8 height

Comment

Can someone post a picture of what a proper battery clamp and rods look like?.......what I had was a crappy brand X hold down from Dorman.

Thanks '86 MGM 5.0

Comment

I can try and get one in the morning of mine. Looks kinda like the one posted above, except one side bolts directly to the radiator support and the other has the rod with a bolt. From what I can tell, it holds a Group 64 battery perfectly.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                    I can try and get one in the morning of mine. Looks kinda like the one posted above, except one side bolts directly to the radiator support and the other has the rod with a bolt. From what I can tell, it holds a Group 64 battery perfectly.
                    The one the shop put in is a group 36R Thanks in advance for the pictures!

Comment

I received your pm. I will look in my parts but I think what I have is just shy of what you need. I will also look in my shop manual. Maybe something will be in there.
                      Go on Ebay. Use FORD and then the base number 10756 you should see pictures of different parts for the assembly. Maybe you will find a longer length for the rod. The "B" at the end is not what you need. I will also look and play with numbers.

Comment

Found 2 nos j bolts that may work. Pm sent.

Comment

Here’s what I got:

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The Hold Down Bracket appears to be D9AZ-10718-D. The Bolt/Clamp (with the u shape on the end) appears to be E1TZ-10756-C. You can find them on eBay.

E0TZ-10718-B also appears as a hold down bracket for cars with an HD battery. It seems to require two of the bolts. I think the D9AZ is what you need.

What battery group do you have in there now? I think they came with a Group 64? I ran a 27F in my 82 and don't recall any problems. I know the later cars used the 58 or 65 with a different bracket and tray.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tiggie it has an Interstate MT-36-R
                              Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              The Hold Down Bracket appears to be D9AZ-10718-D. The Bolt/Clamp (with the u shape on the end) appears to be E1TZ-10756-C. You can find them on eBay.

E0TZ-10718-B also appears as a hold down bracket for cars with an HD battery. It seems to require two of the bolts. I think the D9AZ is what you need.

What battery group do you have in there now? I think they came with a Group 64? I ran a 27F in my 82 and don't recall any problems. I know the later cars used the 58 or 65 with a different bracket and tray.

Comment

Working...
                              X