Disc Brake Caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc Brake Caliper

My right front disc brake caliper is locked up and not releasing the pads from the rotor. When I got home I could smell the smoke and could see a light amount of smoke coming from the wheel area and the wheel cover was almost hot to the touch.

My specific question is, are there any aftermarket manufacturers supporting our "big cars" with aftermarket calipers? Instead of opting for another remanufactured caliper I wanted to see if anyone knew of a company that provides new calipers for our cars.

thanks,
    Matt

1991 Grand Marquis, 5.0L. all stock.

Not that I know of. If you did find a "new" caliper, I would be wondering how long it was on the shelf. You can rebuild them yourself or get a top quality brand. Cardone is NOT the best. Maybe Raybestos or Wagner. I would trust a Motorcraft reman which are still available. A little pricey if you don't shop around.

Comment

I replaced mine with some police steel piston cardone remans. Unfortunately they shipped one side missing all the hardware, so i had to do the rock auto shuffle to get another which took a few more days.

Comment

If you have stock brakes I don't think you have any choice but reman ones. Not much in there if you want to DIY.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You could do a brake upgrade from newer panthers...but that's a lot of work. Worth it, but a lot of work. The stock caliper design sucks TBH
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

In theory the phenolic should hold up better. Only one surface to rust vs 2, but I don't know how much difference it really makes. Rebuild the caliper and flush the fluid, seems to be the best hope you've got of keeping it working. I upgraded the brakes on my Towncar to get away from those crappy calipers, then I bought a Mark VII and a Continental that use those exact same crappy calipers.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              In theory the phenolic should hold up better. Only one surface to rust vs 2, but I don't know how much difference it really makes. Rebuild the caliper and flush the fluid, seems to be the best hope you've got of keeping it working. I upgraded the brakes on my Towncar to get away from those crappy calipers, then I bought a Mark VII and a Continental that use those exact same crappy calipers.
              I don't mind Mark VII brakes, stop and feel better compared to box stuff. Gotta be that weird booster, no?
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The Conti has the same iron master cylinder my Towncar came with and the same front brakes. Rear disc, hydroboost, not the Teves thing. Pedal feel on that is way better than stock box brakes. Not sure how much is the booster and how much is the rear disc. The Mark VII has slightly better pedal feel than the Conti but its not hugely different. Might be interesting to take an otherwise stock box brake system and swap to the later booster to see what that does for it.

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance on this-
                  Did any of the later box bodies use ABS/TC?
                  Or is that an Aero only thing?

Thanks and sorry lol
                  Last edited by massacre; 08-13-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

ABS was an option but was not optioned very often. I've only ever seen ONE box with ABS stock and it was an 89 IIRC. Looking online I can find ABS Wheel sensor pigtail available for 1985 up... so there's that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

never heard of a box with factory ABS. No provisions on the hubs for the sensors makes it unlikely to have ever existed.

That said I know of at least 2 ABS cars, both retrofitted from later parts.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Might be interesting to take an otherwise stock box brake system and swap to the later booster to see what that does for it.
                        I tossed on an Aero booster when the original one in the '87 went, but everything else is stock. Pedal feel and modulation improved and felt more confidence inspiring.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I got improvements when the booster and master were swapped on mine to later stuff, but I thought it was more about fixing the valving to match the rest of the brake hardware. Maybe half the reason box brakes suck is that booster then. The overly grabby brakes with poor modulation ability was always my gripe with them.

Comment

It certainly could be- but I have the stock booster and master with aero brake and it has a very modern, progressive feel to it
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Wagon is rebuilt box-stock booster, 91 master (plastic reservoir style), no frame mounted valve, 11" drums, 95-97 front brakes. Stops super evenly and well. None of that weird sudden lockup threshold junk that stock box brakes like to do.

Did a really hard panic stop with it just tonight actually, and marveled at it a bit. Stops amazingly well, and didn't lock any of the wheels but I would have expected it to do 2, if not all 4.
                              Last edited by kishy; 08-14-2020, 11:08 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                              | 88 TC | 91 GM
                              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                              X