• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Lutrova was joking, yeah.
    1991 MGM GS - stock summer cruiser, with lovely A/C
    1977 Cougar XR7 - stock summer cruiser, with no A/C
    2009 G8 GT - un-stock summer cruiser
    A couple of Elantra Tourings - I have a strange obsession with them!

Comment

My car originally ejected about a quart every tank of fuel. It was very well coated. it still had rust, and the engine blew up when I fixed the oil leak so I'm gonna go with that being a losing proposition all around. I had grease in my armpits for a week when I replaced the engine in that pig, by far the most disgusting engine job I have ever done. I also caught it on fire and it roasted a transmission and some of the wiring. It started because of a fuel leak but the massive amounts of gunk under the car kept it going.

0/10, do not recommend
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
        Funny? story. I knew a garage that would only drain the rear of the pan and wipe the outside of the oil filter to make it look like he installed a new one. This shop ripped everybody off. WagonMan
        My buddy busted a dealership on this because he wrote his initials in sharpie on the filter when he changed it
        Priceless

Comment

and people wonder why I don't trust other people to work on my stuff.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's why I change my own oil. A friend had his car at Jiffy Lube for an oil change back in the day; watched another kid change the oil on another car. The kid/mechanic drained the oil and forgot to put the plug back in. Changed the filter and dumped in some oil and was about to fire it up when my friend shouted to the kid to check underneath the car. Sure enough, the oil he had just dumped in was pouring out of the oil pan drain. My friend took his car to his parent's place and did the oil himself.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              ...I also caught it on fire and it roasted a transmission and some of the wiring. It started because of a fuel leak but the massive amounts of gunk under the car kept it going.

0/10, do not recommend
              Welp, there's your problem lady!

Still had rust because it didn't leak oil from new. I don't recommend engine oil anyway, Krown T40 or Fluid Film. Anyone who has seen under my cars that are treated with it also endorse it.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It did actually. I was told that thing leaked oil from new by the original owner. Part of the lower intake gasket was inside the lifter galley, and it probably had been like that since 1986.

The thing is the oil stopped about the middle of the transmission. Trans crossmember, the entire frame, quarter panels, bottoms of the doors, none of that gets oil so the areas that are most prone to rot do not benefit from a leaky engine. There are ways to keep things from rusting, relying on shitty gaskets isn't it. Also it makes a mess in your driveway.

Comment

and people wonder why I don't trust other people to work on my stuff.
                  agree 100%
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It did actually. I was told that thing leaked oil from new by the original owner. Part of the lower intake gasket was inside the lifter galley, and it probably had been like that since 1986.

The thing is the oil stopped about the middle of the transmission. Trans crossmember, the entire frame, quarter panels, bottoms of the doors, none of that gets oil so the areas that are most prone to rot do not benefit from a leaky engine. There are ways to keep things from rusting, relying on shitty gaskets isn't it. Also it makes a mess in your driveway.
                    Welp, the original owner is a dipweed for not taking it back to the dealer to have that fixed, if that B.S. was true.

Indeed there are ways to keep your car rust free or mostly. Krown T40 or Fluid Film treatment once a year. If the schumtz does leak on your driveway as it does mine for about two weeks after, rain water rinses it away after a lil while. With my Town Car, I used to just lay old carpet underneath it for that time period while it sat in the garage. Once the stuff sets up on your car, it does not rinse or wash away without considerable effort. Just ask the guy who bought Ashley's old '89 TC. He bitched a few times about how hard that stuff was to get out of the engine bay. Each time he did, I reminded him we paid good money for that to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Welp, there's your problem lady!

Still had rust because it didn't leak oil from new. I don't recommend engine oil anyway, Krown T40 or Fluid Film. Anyone who has seen under my cars that are treated with it also endorse it.
                      Hey, I'm anyone!
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Hahaha, yup. You're having the '98 done this year, right?

Comment

Yes still need to schedule that.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Agree that oil leaks are not a practical real anti-rust solution, however, maybe the point has been missed that it's (surely?) only ever said in jest...
                            There is one part which benefits from oil leaks and that is the oil pan itself. Those have a tendency to rust badly and being oil-soaked on both sides is the best way to preserve them.

Derek & Vic, I know you've historically come to Windsor to get your Krown applications done, but you'll need o investigate options on your side of the border as Canada isn't letting you in without a mandatory 14 day period of isolation upon your arrival (if you get in at all).

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Great point about the oil pan. My dad's old Mark VII had to have it's pan replaced because of rot. They replaced it with a chrome pan but didn't rough up the mating surfaces so that m'er f'er leaked from everywhere.

FUnny you mention that.. Last year (or was it the year before?) I went to the one that opened up in St. Clair. They did a pretty bad job but sent like six cans of Krown and a gift card to make up for it. They also told me I could do my own cars when I scheduled my next appt. Although that was before Covid so who knows.. Vic said there's another place opening in Rochester I think. I might try that place out. We typically have ours done mid or late September.

Comment

Yes, Hamlin west of Rochester Road. I haven't checked if they have opened yet. Otherwise there is also another place near Lexington.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X