Where to put a catch can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to put a catch can?

I was thinking of installing a catch can on my '91 MGM, as I had one on my old Caprice; on that car, it was easy to install and effective. However, I can't even see the PCV valve on the back of the engine on my MGM, let alone find its line to know where it is running. From what I've seen on the 'net, for Mustangs, at least, the line goes to the underside of the upper manifold, but feeling around under mine, I can't find the same attachment point.

Has anyone else added a catch can, and if so, any pictures would be most helpful!
    1991 MGM GS - stock summer cruiser, with lovely A/C
    1977 Cougar XR7 - stock summer cruiser, with no A/C
    2009 G8 GT - un-stock summer cruiser
    A couple of Elantra Tourings - I have a strange obsession with them!

Yes. I had a cheap one first....well two actually (still was ~70bucks each OUCH) and it was just that cheap. I stepped up to a moroso and it is significantly better in performance.

It goes from the PCV valve to the intake JUST like mustang do.

I actually have two..just in case as the aftermarket trick flow valve covers have NO baffle.

MOst recent:

Here you see the cheap one for the breather set up between valve cover and tb before I also changed that to a moroso unit:

All are on custom brackets I make up/welded and powdercoated.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You should have an elbow protruding from the back of the lower intake manifold with a rubber hose that goes to a port on the bottom of your upper intake plenum.

I got a Trick Flow air/oil separator that I originally ran like Dave has in the picture above. The TFS can is a bit taller and the outlet was too close to the passenger header. I since relocated it behind the radiator on the driver side. Link below is to my RR thread. I errored on the side of caution and got the large catch can as the old lopo had pcv issues and put a lot of oil into the intake (and all over the engine compartment). I didn't want to have that happen again.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...oria-LX/page14

Comment

Do you actually need it? Honestly if its not consuming oil I wouldn't bother.

I need to upgrade the one on my diesel. I guess they still work even when not under vacuum? No PCV on that, its just a breather to the turbo inlet. I guess it gets some suction under boost but not all that much.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My Caprice never consumed oil, noticeably, but on its catch can I would routinely drain frothy oil (air/water/oil mix), so I was a bit worried about it on this car. Thanks to all for the tips, and 87gtVic, that's a killer engine bay!
          1991 MGM GS - stock summer cruiser, with lovely A/C
          1977 Cougar XR7 - stock summer cruiser, with no A/C
          2009 G8 GT - un-stock summer cruiser
          A couple of Elantra Tourings - I have a strange obsession with them!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Yes. I had a cheap one first....well two actually (still was ~70bucks each OUCH) and it was just that cheap. I stepped up to a moroso and it is significantly better in performance.

It goes from the PCV valve to the intake JUST like mustang do.

I actually have two..just in case as the aftermarket trick flow valve covers have NO baffle.

MOst recent:

Here you see the cheap one for the breather set up between valve cover and tb before I also changed that to a moroso unit:

All are on custom brackets I make up/welded and powdercoated.
            Hey, I just posted a question about EGR delete on the 5.0, I noticed that your engine bay looks very EGR free. I got a non-egr gt40 upper and lower and wanted to ditch the EGR before I switch over to it, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

You really just unplug it all and cap off any open lines. It is that simple.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

if you aren't tuning it out, get one of those faker plugs that simulates the EGR in the closed position. The ECM won't throw fits about missing hardware, but it won't lean out the fuel mix or try to advance the timing like it does when it sees the EGR valve open either. If you self-test it you will get a code about the EGR valve not opening.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X