Trunk lid springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk lid springs

Since I face/ass lifted my 85' GMQ the springs in my trunk are not strong enough to keep the lid up. Did the springs change on later models and will they interchange with older ones? Would whale springs work?

Parts book shows torsion bars. Same part#s 79-91 Crown Vic and Grand Marq. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

The torsion bars have multiple positions they can be set in, however you have to be very careful when changing the slot they sit in as they tend to have a lot of stored energy and want to escape when you pop them out of their current slot.

I'd try moving them one setting tighter on each side and see what happens, but if they're already maxed out it sounds like you need replacements.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

They are sketchy to play with for sure. Watch your fingers!
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Mine are maxed out. They held the trunk up ok when it was bare but as soon as I put all the moldings and such back in place it can't hold it up.

Comment

Torsion bars have a certain rate of twist. If that rate of twist no longer does the job, either the torsion bar is weak and needs to be replaced, needs to be replaced with a bigger torsion bar, or you could try drilling additional holes for more adjustment.

Comment

Working...
            X