Aero front end swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aero front end swap questions

I;ve read the stickys and several threads about this but I just wanted to make sure what I'm planning will work:

I need to replace all the original front end bushings on my 84 wagon, and I want to keep my stock 15" wheels.

It appears only Dorman makes replacement box control arms but I don't love their quality for suspension parts.

If I upgrade to 96-97 Moog control arms plus and harvest the 96-97 spindles, hubs and brakes from a j-yard car I should have a complete package that fits in the stock 15" wheel right?

Do I need to change any steering components i.e. Tie Rods to fit the 96-97 lower control arms? if so, do I need to use all 96-97 steering components? I was going to replace all of those items anyway (4 tie rods, sleeves, idler, pitman)

thx!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

The tie rod ends are the same from 79-02. So meh. No need to change that unless they're wiped. You will need to change the ball joints to match the spindle as the taper is slightly different. The lower control arm doesn't need to be changed. Upper control arm from 92-94 aero along with the upper ball joints for the 95-97 spindle/calipers will get you sorted. Keep the camber/caster nuts with the arm but you should probably get new ball joints which includes the bracket for the caster/camber but not the adjustment nuts. And yes, this will all fit inside 15 inch wheels.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      The tie rod ends are the same from 79-02. So meh. No need to change that unless they're wiped. You will need to change the ball joints to match the spindle as the taper is slightly different. The lower control arm doesn't need to be changed. Upper control arm from 92-94 aero along with the upper ball joints for the 95-97 spindle/calipers will get you sorted. Keep the camber/caster nuts with the arm but you should probably get new ball joints which includes the bracket for the caster/camber but not the adjustment nuts. And yes, this will all fit inside 15 inch wheels.
      Ok. I was just needing to replace all my front end bushings because they're all looking tired and they're 36 years old.

So, I was thinking that replacing the upper and lower arms with moog pre-loaded control arms would be easier than pulling my box era arms and swapping the moog bushings in. Moog doesn't make arms for pre-95 panther chassis - only the replacement bushings. Only Dorman makes the loaded arms for box era panthers...I don't know the quality of those.

I was thinking it may be easier to just swap over to 96-97 stuff since I can get the pre-loaded moog arms but it may be more trouble than it's worth because now I would have to go to a junkyard and get the whole spindle, hub, brake package for the 96-97 too.
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

As long as the lower arms have the hole for the sway bar link, that would be fine. The lower arms are the same 79-02 for civilian models. CVPI have different arms for some years. The Moog should work fine.

The upper control arms are where all the differences are. 95-97 arms do not have the rod that bolts to the frame as they mount like the newer 98-02 style with just 2 bolts. You will need 92-94 style arms to work with the 95-97 upper ball joint. The rest of the stuff can be 95-97 specific without issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

My input here is:

Pressing bushings out of and into control arms, upper or lower, is a giant PITA. It is remarkably time consuming, very hard to do, and just overall frustrating. Buying lower arms complete with bushings, assuming you are content with rubber bushings as you can't get them with polyurethane ones, is well worth the price.

Don't buy Dorman lower arms unless you're also putting new ball joints in them. The ones they come with are junk, speaking from experience. Bushings are fine, however.

92-94 style upper arms, which have the mounting shaft, are not sold new. That is a junkyard, NOS, or part-out item to get your hands on. Derby car builders seem to favour putting box uppers on their aeros and whales (somehow), so if you know anyone in that scene, they may be able to hook you up with the removed arms you want, and then give you cash for yours once they're off.

Using the 92-94 upper arms rather than buying newer arms (without the shaft) is advantageous because if you buy new, newer arms, sure they come with new bushings, but you need to press the bushings out to get the shaft (purchased separately or taken from your car) into them. So there is no advantage to having bought the newer arm as now you've mangled its bushings to install the shaft anyway.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

ok, final question:

which is the correct spring compressor to use? I ordered this one from Harbor Freight, but looking at my wagon, this may not work:
            https://www.harborfreight.com/macphe...set-63262.html

thx!

Comment

That set is not going to do the job. Think of that as an "outside" set (clamps onto the outside of the spring); you need the "inside" one that goes up the middle of the spring.

Since you mentioned Harbor Freight I'll assume you're in the US and give a US link (this tool is not one that HFT carries): https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...554/11505522-P
              (if you decide to buy from your local Advance, be sure to look around for a 20-ish percent coupon code, and order online for in-store pickup using the discount code)
              They might also offer it as a loan/rent-a-tool, so call and ask, but I've really appreciated owning my own one of this tool at times.

You take the shock out, then fish the tool up through the hole in the control arm to hook it on the appropriate spots on the spring. It's a little frustrating to get set up just right, but it does the job. Grease the threads.

However the tool is not strictly necessary, depending on how you do the job. Particularly if you plan to cut any coils or put in shorter springs, you do not need the spring compressed to reinstall it. Only at stock height (with stock-length springs) do you need the tool.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

+1 you need the inside compressor. You can also get it as a loaner from Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...sor/555573_0_0

the hooks up top and the plate on the lowest coil you can wedge it into.

Comment

Working...
                X