2011 cvpi maintenance light issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 cvpi maintenance light issue

I have a light coming on for the brake light switch. Switched it out with a new one and same codes keep popping up. Doesn’t help that the wires were messed with being a cop car. Can’t figure out the problems and am tired of the light coming on not that it really makes a difference but I don’t want it to be on. Codes that show are p1703 p0504 and p0573. This is a new brake light switch I installed and the old one had 504 and 573 also.
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

Make sure all bulbs are working (center high mount and tail lights) and that they come on when braking. If that all works, make sure the wires on the switch are actually working as I think there's 4 wires, 2 are for actual brake light function and the other 2 are for cruise control IIRC. You may have to fix the wires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

All lights work wires were spliced by company that set the car up but all lights work when pedal is pressed
      2018 F150 XLT 43k
      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Might need to re-do the splices to clean up any dead end wires. If it's all clean now, might need to check the splices if they are crimped and not soldered to make sure they're not loose. If everything is good with the wires and they're not crossed, then I'm at a loss. Are the lights all the proper incandescent bulbs? LEDs might trigger this code if resistors were not used.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

No leds for any outside bulbs other then headlights. Redid all the spots that were crimped to be safe before swapping out the switch.
          2018 F150 XLT 43k
          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Then I'm stumped. Need someone that knows the newer electrical systems (04+)

Comment

There’s another switch for the cruise control on the brake pedal that can cause p0504 and p0573. Maybe it’s that switch but it’s a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

guessing that’s the problem. My brother looked it over before and just told me the connector to it and the cruise switch are broken.
                Last edited by mikeroc283; 08-20-2020, 02:19 PM.
                2018 F150 XLT 43k
                1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

It looks like the crown vic used a brake light switch and a cruise cancel switch instead of integrating the two sensors in one. From a quick search people have had issues with the cruise cancel switch and thrown the last two codes that you listed. Does your p7b have cruise control? If so you could test the switch by activating cruise and depressing the brake pedal to see what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got one ordered on rock auto. Should have it next week. Just need a connector now.
                    2018 F150 XLT 43k
                    1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Nope it’s a base cvpi. No cruise no power seat.
                      2018 F150 XLT 43k
                      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Have you back probed (do NOT peice the wire insulation) the brake light connector with a test light? Do it. take notes for each wire.
                        Have you looked at live data to see what the brake status is? p0573 says its high circuit aka activated, 12volts. You might have a bad new switch, messed up wiring. Wiring is my guess at this point because that has been f'ed with multiple times. p504 and 1703 are probably only a result of p0573. Chain of events. Start early in the chain and it affects everything later in the chain.
                        When did this start happening? was it after working on something? Go look at the wiring in that area and follow every inch under the dash. Something may have got crossed up. Do not assume that because you already touched it, or did not touch it that it is okay. Is there a bit of harness taped up with electrical tape? Yes there is I don't even need to look. Take off the tape. All the tape. Make sure the splices are clean with no pokey wires sticking out cause that will cause trouble. Separate cleanup and individually retape. I don't care if you think you already did it. Do it again and be meticulous. Make sure the wire is actually connected to the correct wire. And if theres some mystery branch spliced in, find out exactly what it does before you tape it back up--it didn't leave the factory that way.

Comment

Well after looking at it today the connector literally broke off in my hand as I removed the old switch. The only thing that was holding onto it was a tiny portion of the one wire the other was already broken off. So I now need to either fix the connector by redoing the wires or replace the connector all together but there’s none in the junk yard to pull the connector from and I’m not spending $30 on a 12” piece of wire with plastic on it.
                          2018 F150 XLT 43k
                          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

They are used in more than just the crown vic.

Comment

Got a few connectors earlier and spliced one in and attached the new switch I ordered. Should be good now
                              2018 F150 XLT 43k
                              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Working...
                              X