No announcement yet.

kishy's 1986 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today (this past day, Saturday) I decided to tackle the injector issue.

Finally figured out how the 86 TV cable detaches...what a dramatically better design than the 87+ setup.

Broke 3 of the 4 screws for the "5.0 EFI" cover plate. Philips screws and used a manual impact driver. Broke right off. One of them even mangled the impact bit too.
    Bypassed the EGR spacer coolant lines. The gaskets show evidence of leaks, as they always do, so decided to pre-emptively resolve that before it became a real issue.
    Found a pinholed heater core line, will replace.
    Tightened TV slightly since I was there and have found this car shifts, in my opinion, too early and soft.
    Need to replace many vacuum lines and further diagnose TPS, I suspect it's scratchy and drops below minimum in the scratchy section.
    Injector does seem to have resolved the misfire, however it is possible the green corrosion which likely resulted from mouse piss was the issue. I wasn't about to put it back together to test though, when I had the injector already.
    The injector is a leftover from when I did them on my 91 years ago. One of the remans was bad and had to be swapped, so I put the 91 back together with one of its originals. The warranty replacement came, and I never installed it. That's the one I used today on the 86.
    Do not think I'm touching the intake gaskets on this car until they fail significantly. This is going to be a bolt-breaker, I can already tell. I can break the bolts now or I can break them on a decent summer evening in my own driveway with no time constraints. I'll take the latter option.

While working on the car, which is at my friend's shop, around 8:30pm I heard a reciprocating saw out back. This is pretty normal for the neighbouring businesses so I thought nothing of it at first...but after it went on for a while and then seemed to get louder and closer, I started thinking about how odd it was for the (long closed by this time) neighbours to be using a saw so close to the fence. Poked my head out the man door and saw someone cutting the cats off a full exhaust system laying out behind the shop!

Quietly shut the door, went up front and told my friend to call the cops and then move vehicles to block him in...we assumed he had come in a vehicle. We got back there and the guy was seemingly gone, but he was hiding behind friend's '00 Grand Marquis in the corner of the lot. Once he knew we saw him he dropped his bags and hopped the fence to the rear neighbour and took off on a bike. Cop came, took report, reviewed surveillance but due to lighting and dirty lens there's nothing they can get from it.

Damage: resonators cut from late model BMW 7-series exhaust - not cats like they appeared to be - still have the resonators but it's cut apart now.
    Chevy Aveo exhaust manifold and cat cut apart, cat and manifold chunks recovered from the bag he dropped, but this has sealed the car's fate as scrap now.
    90s Nissan Pathfinder cat (aftermarket) is missing, seems to have been taken on a previous day.
    '00 Grand Marquis exhaust cut on passenger side, cat not removed, just one cut completed before we interrupted him I guess. The pipe is too rusty to weld but may be repairable with a band clamp.
    Friend is up by 2 DeWalt batteries the guy dropped, which is something at least since all his tools are DeWalt.
    Guy also dropped his kit for smoking and shooting up, which included a small amount of crack (best guess is that since he seemed to be running low based on empty baggies, he's trying to get some cash quick to replenish).

The 2000 went back inside to prevent further attempts on it for the night. The 86 is outside. I am concerned the cats will be gone by tomorrow but there's nothing we can do about it...nowhere else to put the car. Camera lens has been cleaned and car is directly in front of it, but that won't deter him if it didn't the first time around. Just shitty all-around.
    Last edited by kishy; 11-29-2020, 11:35 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

People. Not an appealing place to leave a vehicle fore sure.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

People suck.

Corrosion sucks too. Drilling those screws out won't be a lot of fun, but if you've got a big enough drill press to set the intake on it might go OK. Or just ignore it since its not exactly function-critical.

you did better with figuring out the 86 TV cable than I did the first time. I pulled down on it since they all pull down. Then I bought a new TV cable.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

you did better with figuring out the 86 TV cable than I did the first time. I pulled down on it since they all pull down.

I did the same thing in the junkyard...I knew the 86 was different but still messed up.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good call on the intake gaskets. One or both of those lower intake front corner bolts will break. Got my broken bolts out by heating them up, hammering a 7mm(?) socket on and was able to get them out that way.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Is it mainly the SEFI cars with the aluminum intakes that break the bolts? My 85 with CFI (iron intake) needs to be resealed. I’m leaking oil from where the intake meets the lifter valley walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

its nothing really to do with the intake material, its more about how nasty the cooling system gets. The front corner bolts go into the water jacket and if the cooling system is a mess they tend to rust and weaken so they snap on removal. In extreme cases aluminum corrosion can seize the bolt in the intake itself but there is a fair bit of clearance there and it would have to be a lot of corrosion. At that point the bolt is probably going to be weak from whatever got the aluminum that crusty anyway.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yikes. I’ve never had a small block Ford intake off before so I didn’t know those bolts went into the water jacket. With my luck they will break off flush with the heads. I lack the skill to get myself out of that mess. Had that happen with exhaust studs on a motorcycle once. I raised the white flag, yanked the head and took it to a machine shop.

Maybe I’ll find a trusted local mechanic to farm this job out to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On my 91 (SEFI, aluminum) I broke none.
                    On my 83 (carb, iron) I broke none of the intake bolts, but did break a thermostat bolt.
                    On my 84 (CFI, aluminum) I broke one.
                    On my 85 (CFI, aluminum) I broke one.

In the case of the intake bolts, the threads go into the iron heads, so they don't get stupid like the water pump bolts or the 5.0 emblem plate screws that thread into aluminum. The cooling system health definitely plays a role but let's be honest...it's probably the most neglected system of any given car, and even when in reasonable condition corrosion still affects metal particularly at the front and top of the engine where there will be air when the system is a little low.

Visited the car today, it still has cats. But when my friend arrived this morning around 10:30, there were two guys scoping stuff out behind the shop and they took off when my friend arrived. Obviously there is some interest. The cop told us there's a chronic issue with converters being stolen recently so it's not just one guy doing it. We put up some motion lights today and they are making the camera that covers the trouble area work a lot better. The cameras are remote-accessible and now I have access too. We can see the cops come through the property a couple times a night now.
                    Last edited by kishy; 11-29-2020, 11:32 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Jeezus. I F'n hate people. At least he had to drop his stash and your buddy picked up some batteries in the process. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a thief. It's almost astounding to see how hard that shop is being targeted. Funny how they're so stupid they don't even know what they're nabbing- ie the one thought a resonator was a converter.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If these people had brains they wouldn't be stealing converters and trading them for rocks in the first place.

Comment

Yeah, they'd probably be worse versions of scum. Like hackers, or credit card thieves or scammers.

Comment

or be in politics

Comment

Most certainly.

Comment

I have, as I may have mentioned in another thread, been dealing with some crippling pain evidently from a pinched nerve in my neck continually since just before Christmas. Yes, I'm well past over it...but since it persists I'm still sort of useless. My entire right arm is basically uncomfortable at best and often painful, I'm dropping shit, all kinds of bad stuff. Yes, have been seeking treatment, but progress is slow. Anyway, that's why I haven't touched this car for a bit now.

A guy near London (I'm reading him as a younger guy, probably car guy) has apparently seen this thread/my general presence on this site, saw my Kijiji ad seeking a parts car/windshield, and messaged me from the ad...wants to come see this car and is considering buying it as it sits. I've talked to my mom and she has no attachment to the original plan of giving it to her, so it would definitely make my life a little easier if it goes away. We're working on figuring out when he can come see it.

Obviously, the car still needs some extensive effort before it can be driven. Doesn't seem too concerned about it. I am of course going to try to feel out if there is any derby intention. If you're reading this...understand that if you derby this car after telling me you want to put it on the road, I will find some way to haunt you for the rest of your life lol. There are oodles of these cars for sale for 300 bucks all over the place, find one with a wrecked body before you trash this one.

As I like to be transparent about these sorts of things, as it sits today with zero additional work done to it, I've suggested $2000 could take it from me. I don't really want to sell it and accordingly I won't go a dollar cheaper. It needs way too much work to be a $2k car and I'd certainly never pay it, but I've got a fair bit into this now. I bet I'm even losing something at 2k, not even sure now.
                                Last edited by kishy; 02-06-2021, 11:14 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X