No announcement yet.

kishy's 1986 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are making me feel bad. Next year is medicare for me.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I will feel really bad when I start getting advertising and discounts for funeral plans. "Buy now..time is quickly running out "

Comment

yuk yuk yuk.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I've been getting the occasional AARP ad in the mail for the past 10 years.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wanted to retire 20 years ago, unfortunately for financial reasons that didn't quite work out
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The sale of the car did not happen; prospective buyer found a road-ready one closer to home. And apparently did see the post because he re-assured me his intent had not been to derby it. If you see this one...you should sign up and let us see what you're working on.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Hope you feel better and continue to take it seriously, as it seems you are.

Ive had some knee pain isolated to my left knee that came and went (for no apparent reason) since April 2020 where I couldn't bend or put pressure on it whatsoever. September rolls around and it just would not go away anymore.

After many doctor visits, multiple surgical biopsies scans up the wazoo...x-rays, MRI, CT, PET and bone marrow biopsy/aspiration from back of my pelvis I have cancer. Its not life threatening and slow to grow...the doctors categorize it as a indolent lymphoma but still put a halt on my life for the past 5 months.

I am currently undergoing radiation treatment for it and am expected make a full recovery.

Anyways, you never know what is coming your way so always seek out why you are feeling the way you are just to be on the safe and proactive side of things.

Regarding a potential sale of the car..I get it. Hopefully everyone is honest and no funny business goes down.
              I have been quite concerned about the potential for this being some form of cancer, like a tumor pushing on the nerve. Physiotherapist and chiropractor both agree the issue is that a nerve is being irritated, but symptoms make it impossible to actually verify the exact location of the irritation or to establish that it even is just one source of irritation or one affected nerve. The MRI should tell more. I am now falling victim of the one true criticism of the Canadian healthcare system, which is the wait time for diagnostics such as this. The wait for the MRI is estimated to be a couple months, the wait for the EMG may be over a year. I get the impression that there are not many facilities equipped to do it and I'll likely be traveling to another city for it. Oh well, it is what it is.

Of course it is also entirely possible that it's just an unfortunate effect of aging (31). I am neither fit nor particularly overweight, but I am certainly not "in shape", and that doesn't help in terms of back muscle strength and maintaining posture. I've been working with the ergonomist at work, and in general my work is very understanding of the fact that this could be an ergonomic injury, so we're making changes to improve that angle of things as well. I will specifically note that my new work vehicle, the Transit Connect, has some really horrendous ergonomic features as related to the seat, which the ergonomist agrees may be a major factor. I may make another thread feeling out this topic a little more, as this isn't really the right one for it.

It is fortunate that your cancer was discovered and treatment is expected to be effective. I certainly hope you see a full recovery and can go back to life as usual soon.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              The day you're born is also the day you start dying.
              People at work always look at me in funny and occasionally horrified ways when I make remarks like this, but it's not like it isn't true lol.

"What's up?"
              "Oh, you know, just one day closer to death!"
              But on the serious side of that, definitely +1 on the remarks about making the best of what we've got. Do things you enjoy with people who are good company, there is certainly no guarantee we get anything else after this life's gone.

I appreciate all contributions on the topic but do respectfully ask that we let this thread go back to the car it is about. Unfortunately I have no content to add about it presently.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Hey Kishy, love that you saved this poor thing from a derby, it reminds me of my old 86 I had, same color, coach roof etc, except my interior was maroon, and the body was much more rusted. I have a soft spot for these cars.

Comment

An update without an update: the original justification that I had for this car was to give it to my mom. It's how I convinced myself it made sense, and it's how I justified taking on a (fairly minor) project when I was already surrounded by other ones.

Ultimately, the floor rust surprised me and ruined this car for me. I liked it because it was clean, and as silly as I know this is to say, the floor rust ruined it. Big time. This turned in a moment's time from a car that I couldn't bear to see go to derby, to one that rightfully belongs there. Floor repairs in the passenger area are not something I ever intended to mess with again, and although not by any person, I felt deceived by this. Big time.

The new car for mom is the 2005 Focus.

I will be selling this car, but not to anyone where derby is a risk, and ideally only to someone already in the Panther community. If I repair the floor first, it will be done thoroughly, and sufficiently to pass a safety, but not necessarily in the most pretty way.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

PM sent.
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

An update, this time with an update:

This car originally had steel wheels + wire wheel covers. The wire wheel covers are long gone, but the evidence of the special lugnut cylinder things remained in the trunk.
                      I received the car on a mismatched set of steel wheels with old tires; the wheels are desired by the person who sold me the car, and I have no need for a set of mismatched wheels, so they'll be returned to him.

As noted in the junkyard thread, I recently acquired a set of turbine wheels, sort of earmarked for this car. The tires on them are in bad shape, but seem to hold air. Good enough for a car that mostly just sits.

Drove out to my buddy's shop last night where the car has been hibernating. Demounted and remounted one of the tires that did have bead leaks, seems OK now. Swapped them onto the car.

Noted that the battery, which has not been on a charger at all, still cranked it without issue and the car started without incident.

Did, however, note that this will need some battery cable attention. Not surprising, unusual or unexpected.

I will finish the work on this and make it reasonably nice. Its eventual fate will still be to sell it, I think, unless my space situation changes (and by the standards of people who live in cities, I'm already way better off than most in this regard). That said, I am working on a space solution; in talks with some friends to split on the rent for a decent size warehouse-like building where we can store and work on our cars, so that would be nice if it comes to fruition.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

A "Canada Proof" battery? As someone from the states, that's just funny. I wonder what a "US Proof" battery might look like..
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I wonder what a "US Proof" battery might look like..
                          Comes with a chain lock so you can lock it into the battery tray?
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

A "Canada Proof" battery? As someone from the states, that's just funny. I wonder what a "US Proof" battery might look like..
                            Honestly didn't know anything about them until this one appeared in my life.

They must be decent, given it cranked the car just fine after sitting for something like a year.

The conventional battery wisdom does still apply though; only 2 or 3 manufacturers on this continent, so it's the same as some other brand, just don't know which.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Catching up on a couple small things with this one.

The 86 has sat untouched since May. I removed the battery as the weather started turning cool and have stored it in my garage (40 mins from the car, for reference) and although it has not been on a maintainer/trickle charger, I did use an automatic charger upon bringing it home to make sure it was "topped up" before the cold weather.

Today (well now yesterday, Friday) I've taken the battery out to the car, inventoried its general state, and tackled a 'to-do' item.
                              • Odometer shows 195,860km
                              • Oil is visually moderate darkness and on the lower end of acceptable.
                              • Coolant level in the rad is at the top of the trans cooler. Losses here are believed to be primarily from the pinholed heater hose, but I also suspect the lower intake gaskets probably weep some (no clear evidence of it but I do not trust aging SBF intake gaskets), and it seems likely that the heater core probably has a leak though I have no evidence of it. The rad end tanks do not appear to leak nor does the water pump at this time.
                              • Tires (as installed on the car in May): 3 of 4 holding 20ish psi since being filled to 38ish in May. Passenger front was nearly flat at 7psi. Tires have '14 dates and lots of tread but also a fair bit of cracking. They could be used to drive the car short distances at lower speeds but not fit for any sort of sustained or highway use.
                              • Trans fluid level seems to be a little low but the fluid quality on the stick appears to be fresh; previous owner must have serviced it recently in terms of mileage.
                              • The battery cranked the engine effortlessly, though the solenoid did fail to pass current to the starter on the first try (single clunk but no symptoms of large amp load)
                              • The engine started with no use of the pedal, though it did have a rather long crank. This has a new fuel pump in it, but it did also sit for a long time.
                              • Transmission quickly engaged drive and reverse as required to move it from its spot, and the car readily moved with no indication of sticking brakes. I repositioned the car where I could better work on the heater hose issue.
                              • There is still tree sap on the paint, although this seems to be chipping off easier the older it gets.
                              As many of you may know, 86 has some 1-year-only oddities relating to the heater plumbing, the most significant overall detail being that both the supply and return are in the form of metal pipes that run under the upper intake. Below the back of the upper intake, the metal pipes transition to vaguely S- or Z-shaped rubber hoses which then jump over to the heater core. The pipe from the water pump goes to a hose which is 5/8" on one end, and 3/4" on the other. The pipe from the intake manifold goes to a hose which is 3/4" on both ends. The heater core connections are both 3/4".

From my existing parts collection, I was able to find:
                              • 1x leftover piece of a previously cut 88433 hose, which is the full length heater hose for an 87-91 (I think) without ATC. The leftover portion was the S-shaped bit at the end which goes to the heater core. This provided the piece of hose I needed that was 3/4" on both ends. It did not fit exactly correctly but is good enough to keep the coolant in.
                              • 1x 4518 hose, which is a hose I seemingly ordered in error years ago and is actually the correct 86-only part providing 5/8" on one end and 3/4" on the other.

I removed the upper intake (just set it aside, left most things attached to it) and replaced the heater hoses. I used worm gear-style hose clamps when reassembling instead of the PITA ones Ford used from new. While back there, I verified that I remembered correctly about there being no PCV screen below the valve. I had removed it to attempt to clean it previously, unrolled the metal mesh, and couldn't get it back together nicely.

Put it back together, topped up the coolant, and ran the engine for a while. Got acceptable but not great heat, enough to melt the ice off the windshield (also still mouse piss scented). It was pretty cold out and it was just idling, so it's hard to be sure if there's an issue with the heat creation. Verified the wipers work, though it needs blades. Verified 2G seems to be charging the battery fine. Seems to start well and idles happily. Easily the smoothest idle of any of my cars.

Left it for the night. Will be out there again tomorrow, unclear how much I'm doing to it at that time, but we'll see what the day brings.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

I enjoy your super detailed posts and photos! As I am sure you know, that mesh filter under the PCV is available but just not (at least I think not) from Ford. Wix and some other companies offer them. It is accessible without removing the intake but it is a tight fit. Good to change that, the grommet and the valve since you are already there. Planning on doing an oil change soon? Would be good to do that then, unless you can't do it due to weather. I'm sure I'm "preaching to the choir" but just wanted to mention all this!
                                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
                                X