• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
    A derby car needs brakes, right?
    Isn't that what the other cars are for?

Comment

I'm betting metric b body years.

But he may have just been a hack about it too. GM uses 10 degree tapers for ball joints on these later b body cars. Ford uses 7 degree tapers.

Comment

I suppose I will add my experience/ 2 cents here. If I were you, and you still want to lower the car, i would replace all the balljoints and the shocks (you don't have to worry about destroying them then). I used 90's stock crown victoria springs and cut 1 coil off of them (would do 7/8 of a coil if i were to do it again), and I bought the 200 pound rear speedway lowering springs. It's slightly stiffer than stock, but gave me a nice ride height and slight rake, for not much money. I see you're in Finland, so I don't know how hard it will be to get these springs, but I recommend it over just the speedway springs, which were too harsh for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6209.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	1288465Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6211.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	1288466
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          I suppose I will add my experience/ 2 cents here. If I were you, and you still want to lower the car, i would replace all the balljoints and the shocks (you don't have to worry about destroying them then). I used 90's stock crown victoria springs and cut 1 coil off of them (would do 7/8 of a coil if i were to do it again), and I bought the 200 pound rear speedway lowering springs. It's slightly stiffer than stock, but gave me a nice ride height and slight rake, for not much money. I see you're in Finland, so I don't know how hard it will be to get these springs, but I recommend it over just the speedway springs, which were too harsh for me.
          Honestly your car isn't much lower than mine, looks nicer tho . I definitely wouldn't mind the slightly stiffer ride. Do your tires rub at all?
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

haha thanks, based on your pictures you look about what I was at before, but with healthier rear springs, and I dropped around 2". No rubbing at all, no bottoming out. Plenty of ground clearance.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
              I'm betting metric b body years.

But he may have just been a hack about it too. GM uses 10 degree tapers for ball joints on these later b body cars. Ford uses 7 degree tapers.

Always possible it was a hack - people have different standards for "good enough," especially depending on purpose (winning a derby vs. surviving on the street for many years to come). Unfortunately, I don't remember the guy mentioning which Chevy spindles he used. Might even have been for an A or G body.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X