Best fuel pump for 89 Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best fuel pump for 89 Colony Park

My Spectra fuel pump shit in my wagon. There are a lot of choices for replacements. Very inexpensive to costly. Any input on brands? Should I get a complete unit or just a pump?
    WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

I also have a spectra in my 90. Longer crank times and talks a little too loud. My 88 runs the stock pump to my knowledge, and is quieter and quicker to start.

Maybe someone else would be able to provide info on some other brands.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I've had the same Walbro in my Towncar for years. Quiet, works fine. Was a Summit-boxed pump so slightly cheaper than Walbro-boxed.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Replaced the fuel pump in my 93 with a Spectra Premium assembly... No complaints.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Maybe I am crazy, but I think I would want one that is noisy so I can hear if it is working when I turn the key on. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park

Comment

I can say that mine is noisy enough to hear prime, but once the ending starts, can't really hear it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A goodly number of long crank problems are caused by the check valve in the return line. If the fuel pressure drops to zero fairly soon after the pump stops, this is a likely candidate.
              Replacing the whole hanger assembly replaces the check valve; I haven't looked to see if it's available separately (but I'm sure someone, somewhere, makes one).

Comment

If the fuel pressure drops to zero fairly soon after the pump stops, the candidates are, in my opinion in this order of likelihood: the in-tank rubber line from the fuel pump to the metal line, injectors which do not fully seal, lazy or leaking fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump itself, external fuel leak.

For what it's worth a $50 (Canadian) Autobest fuel pump is in my wagon. It was the cheapest fuel pump on the market at the time which satisfied OE specs. Not wanting to jinx anything here, but you don't need to spend real money to get a fuel pump. A lot of it comes down just to chance. They live in a sort of hostile environment.

A noisy fuel pump can be useful for diagnostic purposes as mentioned, but motor and pump technology has progressed somewhat in this specific field, and a brand new pump of good design which works well should be significantly quieter than the pumps that are being taken out in most cases. The new pumps which have gone into the Lincoln (Bosch specced for a '91), Ranger (Carter specced for a '93), and wagon (the Autobest, F1193 I think) are all audible during prime but you can't pick their noise out of the other vehicle sounds when the engine is idling.
                Last edited by kishy; 08-24-2020, 09:13 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

I pulled the tank and pump assembly out of my 89 Crown Vic sedan parts car. Tank is a fairly new Spectra and the pump assembly is fairly new but has no identifying marks as to brand. Funny thing, there was no sock/strainer attached. None floating inside the tank either. Looks like the pump part is interchangeable, but with no sock/strainer I think I'll buy a new one. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park

Comment

As it happens, that same Autobest pump came up as the cheapest which RockAuto could ship from the same location as my shocks (for the 86), so I've just bought another one today. 51 CAD plus I think 3 bucks for the matching strainer.

It is worth noting that regardless of where you buy your pump and what brand you buy, none/few of the pump manufacturers are making their stuff consistently cross-compatible with strainers for other manufacturers, so it would be best to buy the pump and strainer from the same brand or if doing so in a retail store, make sure they fit together before leaving. But in the case of some, once installed, they cannot be separated, so don't push it on too far.

Also worth noting that the modern design pumps are thinner than the chubby things the cars were built with new, so depending on your hanger design, a sleeve is necessary to make the pump fit nicely and some pumps do include that sleeve.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

I don't think hangers are available for wagons, or were not last I knew. The sock would be a sinker, but its possible someone left it off. Would work just ducky until you got down to maybe 1/4 tank. Then it would likely cut out on turns, and you'd probably have it die completely by 1/8 tank. No sock would also let the pump suck up any big chunks sloshing around in the tank and that would do it no favors.

The Walbro in mine is for a Mustang, and it is skinnier than original. Its held in place with a couple of hose clamps punched through the original rubber boot. If you use a sleeve make sure its either provided with the pump or is made of fuel-compatible rubber. I saw a pic where someone used a radiator hose as an adapter. It turned into a slimy ball of goo after sitting in the tank a while. The pump to plate fuel hose has the same issue, there is a specific type of in-tank hose for that spot.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Complete pumps are available for wagons, Spectra part# SP2056-H $92 from Amazon. WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park

Comment

Working...
                        X