X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD teardown vid

Just in case anyone wanted to see whats inside the black magic voodoo box

https://youtu.be/HGptqCo65LE

Not sure how I got there but I've been watching this guy tear down transmissions for a couple weeks. Its kind of fascinating just how much crap is inside an auto box.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

What a great reference.

One thing I don't understand though is how you would get at the torque converter to drain it. It looks like the case is one solid piece and the only way to drain anything would be just unbolting the pan.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
      What a great reference.

One thing I don't understand though is how you would get at the torque converter to drain it. It looks like the case is one solid piece and the only way to drain anything would be just unbolting the pan.
      The front of the bellhousing has a removable panel towards the bottom called an inspection cover. The opening faces the engine, but there is room behind the oil pan to access it. The TC drain plug, on converters so-equipped, faces forward and you access it through that removable panel. It is doable with the trans in the car.

There is a not-very-good photo here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post831078

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I like that guy's videos. Don't really see too much carnage on 'em but entertaining nonetheless. It would take me a whole day to tear one down and then I wouldn't be able to put it all back together. Thaaats a job I farm out.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

most of their vids are like 25 minutes and it goes from a complete trans to a pile of parts with an explanation of what each part is. I guess when thats what you do for a living you get fast at it. I also never knew the forward clutch dropped out in OD. That explains why it goes to neutral when the OD band fries. That one filter bolt jamming up the 3-4 piston probably explains why the 3-4 upshift on the Mark VII is sluggish, and why it got funky on the original valve body in the black car after I serviced it. I bet that bolt is too tight and making the piston move slow.

and ditto on the plate. Pull the lower cover and rotate the engine until you find the plug poking through the flexplate. Most transmissions do not have a converter drain, and not all aftermarket AOD converters have it either. Pan drain is all you get for most things.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All that fluid pouring out on the table made me cringe.

Sure looks like he knows his way around the transmission. Zips it apart into a giant puzzle in no time flat.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

LoL yeah, he certainly does seem to know about 'em. Talks about this 'n' that about upgrades, shifts, how it does whatever.. "..zips it apart into a giant puzzle.." accurate.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

His other table is more interesting. It has a large drain trough down the middle and fluid just runs into that and into a bucket at the end. No idea of it was a DIY thing or if it was harvested from a morgue.

Comment

I've seen several transmission shops (and a few larger shops) that have those steel tables with the drains like that. That one looks more hand built as if you look at the edges of the raised edges, they are not cleanly cut, like someone cut the metal with a plasma cutter free hand and just smoothed it out. The bought not built tables I've seen have nice sheered or rolled edges.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X