No announcement yet.

EGR Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bgreywolf-thanks for the offer! If I was in Maine I would definitely take you up on that...it would be cool to see them in action.

Finally got off my butt today...new EGR valve and sensor are installed. No codes...car drives great! Gas mileage is up a little bit now too. I also put in my liland global all aluminum radiator that’s been sitting around for months. Very happy with it so far!

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
      I've got a huge pile of overlays from the early 80s through early 90s (and it's not too hard to figure out what's what without the overlay, if you have the ECM pinout).
      any chance you can scan the ones appropriate for the cars we deal with and post them? Still have to do a little arts & crafts to make them fit but better than a sharp stick in the eye.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        any chance you can scan the ones appropriate for the cars we deal with and post them? Still have to do a little arts & crafts to make them fit but better than a sharp stick in the eye.
        I would be glad to! I'm at sea for a week or so. When I get home I'll dig them out and scan them; please remind me too, lol. It'll help pass the quaran-time while I avoid people until I get test results...

Comment

I would be glad to! I'm at sea for a week or so. When I get home I'll dig them out and scan them; please remind me too, lol. It'll help pass the quaran-time while I avoid people until I get test results...
          Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Derek, the Star tester uses the EEC test connector at the fender to read codes and perform basic testing.
            The EEC-IV monitor and breakout boxes allow detailed tests at the ECM connector, so the meter/tester/logger see exactly what the computer sees as it sees it.
            I agree it's frustrating to dig through the car to hook up the tester (at least the computer is inside the car on some models/years, otherwise you get to drive around with cables hanging out from the hood and through the window) but it's nice for chasing problems that either don't set a code, or set a code that can be caused by multiple items at weird times (like EGR position type codes and driveability problems).
            I've had the joy of having to backprobe connectors and run wires into the car on OBD2 vehicles, even while running an OBD2 tester that can log and read freeze frame data. The breakout box isn't as awful as you make it sound. :/
            Which cars might those be? I watch a lot of South Main Auto, I ain't never seen Eric back probe anything unless he had to prove a point. Tain't so bad if you've got those little doo-hickeys he has. I've also never needed to back probe anything on our OBDI General Motors stuff. GM was nice enough to let scan tools see live data, well, as much as provided back then which was better than what Ford gave the average schmoe. Was not aware the STAR tester did that, however, my MT2500 plugs into the EEC connector too. Break out box is terrible if you have to use it, for now you interrupted power and if you forgot to log which codes it threw, you're SOL until it throws 'em again if the problem comes and goes. And then like you said, you gotta drive around with all kinds of wires hanging off the side and all that. OBDI Ford stuff did store fuel trims too, and those and other stored data is out the window too once you disconnect that harness going into the ECM. I don't know when Ford abandoned the breakout box on all EEC IV models but I know for the F-Series it is 1992. What I mean is that using one is still optional, you just don't have to. An MT2500 or equivalent can read live data and codes on those. Panther platform? NFC. We had a meet up last year and a 1994(?) TC still only let you read codes and perform those E-I-E-I-O tests.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

are we watching the same SMA? I see him back-probe things all the time with T pins and other various connection methods.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                are we watching the same SMA? I see him back-probe things all the time with T pins and other various connection methods.
                Yes, we are. Like I mentioned, he does that to prove a point with those nice doo-hickey things but its mostly to prove a point like voltage drop or something. Doesn't seem like he needs to though. I once had to diag an electrical issue with my TBI truck, was able to do so with the MT2500.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                X