Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Codes

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Care to share a pic, model number etc of the breakout box?

Looking to learn a bit more about it.
    Sure; I’ll get some pictures of it later tonight. It’s a model BB-1 made by the Hickok company. I also have the Ford Super Star 2 tester made by them for reading codes. It’s neat because it reads the fast codes. I’m impatient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
      Sure; I’ll get some pictures of it later tonight. It’s a model BB-1 made by the Hickok company. I also have the Ford Super Star 2 tester made by them for reading codes. It’s neat because it reads the fast codes. I’m impatient

I have the same breakout box and have found it to be very useful

Comment

What I really like about it over the others I found is the cable is flat. This lets you close the hood on it if you need to hook test equipment up and drive the car.

Comment

Cool. Thanks. I have the star tester myself. May be handy to find the breakout box. Though it is something I hope I do t need to do.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have a BOB from a different company, I think Thexton. The round cable has proven to be an issue for exactly that reason, can't close the hood on it. I would suggest people opt for the ones with the flat cable like shown above. If you can have the BOB in the interior of the car that means you can drive around with a multimeter in view showing what's going on.

I opted to skip the Ford scan tool and get an OTC unit. I believe they are functionally equivalent as it relates to our cars, but the OTC has more "for dummies" features that walk you through what you're doing.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Hickok is an old test equipment company. They made some of the finest tube testers around way back in the time of enlightenment before these silly non-illuminated electronics came about. I had one of their transistor testers at one point. Gave it away, got tired of moving it around. i think i owned it for 5 years and never actually used it. Never even bothered to figure a way to duplicate the oddball battery it was supposed to use.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My Hickock also has the flat wire harness.
                Do you guys have the overlays that go over the holes? I might end up trying to make some.

Comment

EGR Codes

Cool, I had never heard of Hickok before and had no idea they made a wide variety of test equipment.

I’ve seen the overlays before on eBay but there are none for sale right now. I’m hoping some day to snag a set.

New EGR valve showed up today. Hoping to get it installed tomorrow.

Comment

I think I might have a couple overlays somewhere. If I can find them I’ll post them up

Comment

Glad to see that CFI is living on.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

These are what you REALLY want:

The EEC-IV Monitor allows you to switch between contacts and send test signals to the computer:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	EECIV Monitor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	1287408

The EEC-IV Logger works as a breakout box, but also allows you to datalog onto a cassette tape! How's that for state-of-the-art?!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	EECIV Logger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	1287407
                        Attached Files

Comment

EGR Codes

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Glad to see that CFI is living on.
                          Me too! When it runs right it’s very smooth...almost feels like the car isn’t running at idle.

Bgreywolf...I’ve been looking for the monitor and recorder for awhile. Funny how those once were state of the art! How far tech has come! I just checked and there is a recorder on eBay for $117...I may have to snatch that up. There is also a monitor but it’s $500 bucks! Yikes!

I bought the book with the CFI overlays for the monitor about a year ago.

Last edited by matth825; 09-10-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

If they weren't so darn big, I'd offer to ship these out to people as a loan. The potential for loss/damage/the fact that shipping would be in the $35-40 each, each way (for reasonably quick shipping with insurance and confirmation) makes it so it's not really worth it. Especially because most of my cars use them for diagnostics so I want to keep them nearby and in working condition. I've got a huge pile of overlays from the early 80s through early 90s (and it's not too hard to figure out what's what without the overlay, if you have the ECM pinout).

Additionally, I have the EEC-III monitor, STAR tester and various other useful devices.

For now, anyway, if you (or anyone else reading this) is in or near Maine, send me a PM if you'd like to hook them up to your car and we can figure out something. Gotta keep these old Fords on the road!

Comment

I've thought about buying one of those for a while. But I can't get past that the idea behind the break-out-box is bullshit. Even back in the early 80's GM gave technicians ways to read code from the cars themselves or through a scan tool. Ford? "You get to back probe sensors and have a good time trying to plug this in between the main harness and ECM. You also get to reset everything the computer has learned in the process. You're welcome. " That shit was just a money grab for Ford and other OEM's who essentially forced people to buy their shit. OBD II was a good thing. I'm just glad I haven't had to deal with any electrical gremlins with any of my bassakwards Fords.. yet.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Derek, the Star tester uses the EEC test connector at the fender to read codes and perform basic testing.
                                The EEC-IV monitor and breakout boxes allow detailed tests at the ECM connector, so the meter/tester/logger see exactly what the computer sees as it sees it.
                                I agree it's frustrating to dig through the car to hook up the tester (at least the computer is inside the car on some models/years, otherwise you get to drive around with cables hanging out from the hood and through the window) but it's nice for chasing problems that either don't set a code, or set a code that can be caused by multiple items at weird times (like EGR position type codes and driveability problems).
                                I've had the joy of having to backprobe connectors and run wires into the car on OBD2 vehicles, even while running an OBD2 tester that can log and read freeze frame data. The breakout box isn't as awful as you make it sound. :/

Comment

Working...
                                X