EGR Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Codes

I’m having issues with EGR codes 31 and 33. I get code 31 when I run a KOEO test and 31 with 33 when I do a KOER test. I checked continuity between all three pins on the EGR position sensor and the corresponding pins on the ECM. Everything was good. I have 4.99 volts between the 5 volt reference and ground at the EGR position sensor. I also backprobed the signal pins on the ECU connector for the position sensor while running a KOER test. Voltage started out around .9 volts and ramped up to about 3.5 volts. I even jumped the 5 volt reference to the signal pin and still got codes 31 and 33!

None of this makes any sense. The EGR position sensor is working but these codes persist. Could my ECM be failing? This is my first car with eec-Iv so I don’t know if this is a common failure mode when they go bad.

My car is an 85 Crown Vic. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update...I found a 60 pin EEC-IV breakout box on eBay this morning and bought it. I was getting my butt kicked trying to fit my hands down by the ECM connector to backprobe it. When it arrives I’ll check to make sure I’ve got good powers and grounds to the ECM. If they check out then I’m going to call it bad. SIA electronics in Illinois will rebuild it for about 170 bucks.

Comment

31: the voltage the computer sees coming back from the EVP is out of spec (too low or too high to be in the valid range of values). This is an extremely common code and most people (anecdotally) do not bother trying to fix it, but it's certainly one I try to fix and I will not tell you to not fix it.

33: the computer does not believe (using the EVP sensor) that the valve moved when it was given vacuum (if it is a memory code, this could have been an intermittent/it only happened one time problem).

I would approach this as follows:

Ensure the minimum voltage coming back off the EVP is at least [edited out bad data - refer to gadget's post below, I didn't have good data at my fingertips earlier when I wrote this]

Using a hand vacuum pump if available, verify the smooth and consistent operation of the EGR valve itself. Make sure that it is not jammed with carbon and that it does not leak back closed again, and that while closing it fully closes without getting stuck. Unlikely to affect your issue but you're in there anyway.

It is far more likely to me that your EVP sensor is out of spec, or maybe is being made to look out of spec by some condition of the valve itself. If it were just the 31 I would say there is almost no chance this is a bad computer, but the 33 makes it not impossible. Still far less likely, maybe thousands of times less likely. The EVP is a variable resistor (a potentiometer), and the nature of how they work makes them wear out in ways that make them lose accuracy and go out of spec while still overall "working".

Breakout box is a nice tool to have and I agree with your plan to check out the power and ground.

It is also worth mentioning that EGR issues of this nature (that is, it isn't stuck open) should not affect the running quality of the engine, so if you are chasing a performance or drive quality issue, solving these codes will not likely be your magic bullet.
      Last edited by kishy; 08-31-2020, 10:47 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

EGR Codes

Thanks Kishy! I’ll pickup a hand vacuum pump to manually operate the valve and watch the voltage. It’s quite possible I missed something or connected my test equipment wrong since I was backprobing connectors with T pins in cramped spaces. I’m a big guy so it wasn’t easy lol. I’m going to repeat all the tests when the breakout box arrives so I know I have proper connections.

I’ll pull the EGR valve off the spacer plate and give it a good cleaning in the meantime.

I don’t have any drivability problems currently. I found these codes by accident. I picked up a ford super star 2 tester and was trying it out.

Do these engines ping at part throttle in stock configuration with no EGR?

Last edited by matth825; 08-31-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
          Do these engines ping at part throttle in stock configuration with no EGR?
          My experience with a clogged EGR passage: LOTS LOTS LOTS OF pinging.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Is it the grey EGR sensor? There is a grey one and a black. You should have the grey.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page35.html

has a chart with the expected voltages. Looks like fully closed should be 0.5 volts. If you're at 0.9, either it has some vacuum, or the valve isn't closed fully. Or the sensor is bad. There is a gasket or O ring under that thing, if its missing the position sensor will sit in further than it ought to and will read over voltage. If the gasket and such is fine, file the end of the sensor down until its in range and it should quit giving you codes.

Clogged EGR passage with a functional valve will act differently than when you get codes. If the ECM has no faults for the EGR, it will add extra timing and lean out the fuel mix because it assumes you have EGR flow. It has no way of knowing if anything is actually flowing, all it sees is the valve opening. Later engine setups use a DPFE sensor to verify its actually getting gas flow rather than just relying on the valve moving.

If there is a fault code, it will not bump the timing or cut the fuel so it probably will not ping.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

EGR Codes

Thanks for the link! I’ve actually got the black sensor. I checked my parts catalog, looked up the emissions calibration page and the part number listed for the sensor matches the number on the installed sensor. I didn’t know there are two different color ones so I wanted to check to make sure someone didn’t install the wrong one at some point.

I pulled the EGR valve off tonight. There was some carbon but the valve was fully closed. My .9 volts is what the black sensor is supposed to output per the spec chart when the EGR is closed so that’s one good thing. I also verified the EGR valve moves by using a handheld vacuum pump. I watched the sensor output voltage as I did this and it ramped up as the valve opened with no dropouts.

My breakout box should be arriving this weekend. Once it does I’ll verify that the signal is making it to the ECM. If that checks out along with the ECM having solid powers and grounds is it safe to call the ECM being the culprit?

Last edited by matth825; 08-31-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

hm, I've never seen a black sensor on one of these but I have somewhat limited CFI experience. If thats what the book says I guess maybe its right. I'm guessing you're looking in the special specifications book, or are you using the master parts manual?

Might be worth confirming the ECM is what the calibration says it should be.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m using the master parts manual. I got the info from section 93 which was “emission parts by calibration.” Once the breakout box arrives I’ll do my final electrical tests. I’ll then pull the ECM to verify it’s correct for my year and calibration. If that checks out I’ll open it up and look for bad solder joints, leaky caps, etc.

If the ECM is the culprit then I’ve got to decide which way to go with repairs. Considering the age of all the electronics and the fact I have CFI makes me lean towards a carb conversion. I was looking at a 390 cfm Holley 4160 with an Edelbrock performer dual plane manifold.

Comment

If you decide to get rid of CFI, and your disposal method for the CFI parts would not get you any money (e.g. trash can), I would gladly expand my hoar- um, collection of CFI bits and pieces. Computer and engine harness being the priorities, throttle body less-so but still welcome. Not sure where you are so costs could get irritating in that respect.

I do think that ditching CFI is sort of a "throwing the baby out with the bath water" thing to do, but I am in a small minority when I say that.

Not sure of which sensor (black or grey) is on my two; I'll take a peek and report in later.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

EGR Codes

Kishy- You’ve got first dibs if I decide to ditch the CFI. I’m located around the Chicago area. Shipping may not be horrendously bad. I’ll be interesting to see what color sensor is on your EGR.

Once I complete the diagnostics and sleep on things I’ll know more about which way I want to go. I really need to sit down and evaluate where I’m going with this car long term as well....that’s going to determine what I implement for a fix.

I have thought about moving on to a different panther that’s cleaner for a long term car. This one came from Pennsylvania so it’s got some rust issues but no rot thankfully. I had the underbody painted with rust encapsulator last summer and rust is already starting to poke back through. I knew it wouldn’t last forever but one year has got me kinda bummed.

Last edited by matth825; 09-01-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

CFI is great! The complexity of an efi system and only slightly better driveability and MPG!
                        I replaced almost everything on mine to get things running proper. Though I have my doubts about my EGR's functionality, no codes but I have it plugged and disconnected anyways. I get 15-16mpg all day every day so it might have something to do or its just my driving.

Only thing is I'm starting to yearn for more power...
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

If the BOB doesn't give you anything, I'd be real tempted to toss a grey sensor on it before going with ECM problems. Its very rare that they actually go bad. Not impossible, but it would be the absolute last thing I'd go for.

Comment

EGR Codes

Arquemann - I was wondering how yours turned out. I remember all the issues you were having. Glad it’s all sorted out.

Gadget - I like that idea. I can probably pick a grey one up locally.

Comment

Hey, I liked my '85 with CFI. Hated it at first, but that was just my ignorance. I miss that car, it met it's maker so shall it rest in piece or something profound like that.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X