No announcement yet.

Transmission Noises and Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-ring is under the tailshaft housing. Once its off you'll find it just forward of where the splines on the output shaft are. Thats whats meant to keep fluid out of the splines.

master parts manual has E2DZ-7052-A listed for the output shaft seal. Rockauto shows SKF 14978 as a cross with an OD of 2.376"
    Last edited by gadget73; 10-24-2021, 09:50 AM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, Gadget. I pulled up a Precision Transmission video and saw the o-ring, too. Looks like I'll be pulling the tailshaft housing. Hopefully I can get it out without needing to mess with the cross member.

Is there any harm in painting the driveshaft? It didn't look like there was any coating from the factory, but perhaps it's worn off.
      1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Paint that's not applied evenly will unbalance the driveshaft. That's the only real danger.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The trans mount will need to come out but I think you can probably get the housing out with the crossmember still in place so long as you support the trans . The tailshaft is basically an ice cream cone, so once you unbolt it and slide it back slightly you can tilt it considerably for clearance.

might want to change the O ring on the VSS while you're at it just because. You'll also want a new tailshaft gasket.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've already ordered a tailshaft gasket, (hopefully) correct output shaft seal, and a box of nitrile o-rings. If I have one the right size I'll be sure to swap out the one on the speed sensor. I also long ago got an o-ring for the dipstick, as I thought a drip coming off the pan might've been coming from there. Now seems like the moment to do that one, too.

As far as the driveshaft goes, I've heard that paint, dirt, and rust can all throw the balance off. There's surface rust on maybe two thirds of it right now. I just wonder how fussy the balance really is, because two coats of spray paint doesn't seem like all that much. But if they usually live uncoated then I guess they're not as susceptible to corrosion as I thought.

Comment

As someone who lives in a state where rust is a fact of life, I've never worried about the driveshaft rusting/rotting. They certainly will completely surface rust, but nothing alarming in my experience. I ran my '89 MGM for a decade and had transmissions in and out of it a couple times in 2008 and 2011 (and 2012 when I stole the trans to put into The Ice Car.)
              If this was a CV/MGM you could just grab an aluminum driveshaft from a '91 MGM/CV, but isn't the drive shaft different length in a town car? Did the TCs ever get an aluminum driveshaft?
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

yes its longer, no they never went AL so far as I know. Also never seen one with anything worse than cosmetic rust issues. Most of them have enough oil soaked into the surface that its basically rust-proof. Don't see why you couldn't give it a light sanding, a heavy degrease, and a couple coats of rattle can. You'd have to really try to get the paint on there so uneven that it would bother things.

Comment

next time it is low try adding a bottle of lucas stop slip. it may fix all your issues.

Comment

While I appreciate the rust-inhibiting properties of a good oil coating, the mess it makes when I try to do anything in the engine bay or underside of the car drives me crazy. Maybe if I could clean up everything I'd do more hot rodding, but as it stands I'm not a huge fan of having oil soaked hands for a week following any car project.

Which is a long way of saying I'm trying to clean everything as best I can whenever I'm working nearby. And if that means the driveshaft has lost its typical oily protection, I'd rather coat it with something that can do the same job.

As for the stop slip, slipping isn't something I've noticed much of on this car. There were the two times it slipped while climbing out of a parking garage, but I wonder if that wasn't more of a fluid level or valve body issue. My understanding is that stop slip has more to do with worn clutch packs.

Comment

My Towncar puked a quart of oil every tank of fuel for 125k miles. When I did the engine I had grease up to my armpits and it took better than a week to be completely gone. When it caught on fire that greasy slime burned well enough to nuke the transmission. I'm not a fan of greasy nasty vehicles. They are deeply unpleasant to work on.

that magic stuff really does more to swell up seals. It can't fix bad clutches but if the seals are hard or leaky, the potions can soften them back up so they seal again. It also usually has some detergents in there to clean gak out of the valve body so things un-stick.

Comment

Made some progress on this project yesterday. The driveshaft has been painted. It's not my best work, but it at least looks better than the gobs of oil and dirt that were stuck to it before.

I removed the extension housing after a little futzing around. Both the trans mount and crossmember had to be unbolted. The mount I actually pulled out, as one of the bottom bolts was directly behind it, while the crossmember just needed to shimmy forward and back a little to give enough clearance for the housing to come out. The tailshaft bushing does have two little nicks on it, though this hasn't appeared to mar the yoke yet. I'm hoping I can just sand them a bit to take any sharp edge off.

There's also this white paint on the output shaft just behind the governor. Does that serve any purpose, or should it even be there?

Comment

possibly some factory QC mark, or maybe a color ID to indicate the long output shaft vs the short.

looks like the splines are dry, so maybe the O ring wasn't leaking. I'd expect the splines to be wet if fluid was getting past that.

Comment

The splines were definitely wet. Most of the fluid has run off to the very end, and I've tried drying them a bit as well. I also don't believe fluid could keep dripping from the u-joint unless it was travelling inside the yoke, which would indicate an o-ring failure.

It also makes sense if other o-rings have failed at the same age. I'm pretty sure the dipstick o-ring is leaking. There's a lot of fluid coming from the right side above the pan, and it doesn't look like it's either line to the cooler. I believe the shop manual says there's just one bolt holding the dipstick tube in place, which appears to go toward the engine from the very front of the trans case. Are there any other openings on the passenger side of the trans that could leak? The driver's side looks pretty dry.

Comment

yep, one of the engine to trans bolts holds the dipstick. Just have to remove it and pull the tube up.

Both cooler lines are on the passenger side too. If yours has the quick connect fittings those things are notorious for leakage problems. I don't remember if 87 had that or not. I think they were gone by 88, but 86 had it. If yours has it and they aren't leaking, I'd suggest not messing with it. They don't take kindly to being disturbed.

Comment

Great info here
                                Thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                                X