Door alignment causing a leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door alignment causing a leak?

A while ago I replaced my door to body seals and they were a dramatic improvement over the old smashed ones. However, under steady rain, the new ones still leak at the top like they did with the old seal. The door edge does not appear to be contacting the seal when closed. My strikers are adjusted so the doors close nicely and lay even with the body, but is there an adjustment that would push the top of the door in at all? I don't imagine it will need much.

My rear doors are fine, even with original rubber.

Thanks!
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

I am guessing the door matches well with the rear door and front fender. If so, proceed:

Sounds crazy. Put the window down. Block of wood in the door jamb or something to keep the door open, and push the top side frame in. Don’t go crazy on it, but it does take some effort. Work a little at a time and check progress.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I second the aggression route.

Put window down. But left palm On interior door panel and use right hand to pull window frame in. I’ve done it to get this sealing. Body shops will do this as well.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Do your door strikers have bushings in them? It helps too, as the door doesn't move around.

Personally I put my knee against the rear of the door panel and used both hands to yank the frame inwards.
        Definitely worked for me, while not for rain, but for wind noise.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I've done this on other cars. I'll try this today. Doors have new striker bushings and I aligned everything else. Just wanted to check for any other adjustments before I go the aggression route
          1986 Country Squire
          1969 Mercury Cougar
          1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

+1 I had to use the aggression route on the Mad Marquis and the Mark VI (more on the Mark because 2-doors are LONG doors and require more anger).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Per a '69 Ford Training Manual:

Essentially like everyone else said, get aggressive with it.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Oh wow. I LOVE seeing that in an official book.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That is hilarious

I picked this up a few months ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	cA8tY1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1287414

Comment

When I got my S10 years ago it whistled on the driver's side and the top corner of the door was noticeably out from the body. Mentioned it to my uncle and asked how to fix it since the door hinges are welded on it. He picked up a 2x4, stuck it against the latch and slammed the door by the top corner as hard as he could. I'd had the truck like 3 weeks, had a loan on it, and my eyes probably about came out of my head when he did this. He took the 2x4 out, shut the door and said to me "see how that looks". That door still does not whistle and the body line is fine almost 20 years later.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X