PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Door alignment causing a leak?

Default Door alignment causing a leak?

A while ago I replaced my door to body seals and they were a dramatic improvement over the old smashed ones. However, under steady rain, the new ones still leak at the top like they did with the old seal. The door edge does not appear to be contacting the seal when closed. My strikers are adjusted so the doors close nicely and lay even with the body, but is there an adjustment that would push the top of the door in at all? I don't imagine it will need much.

My rear doors are fine, even with original rubber.

Thanks!

I am guessing the door matches well with the rear door and front fender. If so, proceed:

Sounds crazy. Put the window down. Block of wood in the door jamb or something to keep the door open, and push the top side frame in. Don’t go crazy on it, but it does take some effort. Work a little at a time and check progress.

I second the aggression route.

Put window down. But left palm On interior door panel and use right hand to pull window frame in. I’ve done it to get this sealing. Body shops will do this as well.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Do your door strikers have bushings in them? It helps too, as the door doesn't move around.

Personally I put my knee against the rear of the door panel and used both hands to yank the frame inwards.
    Definitely worked for me, while not for rain, but for wind noise.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

I've done this on other cars. I'll try this today. Doors have new striker bushings and I aligned everything else. Just wanted to check for any other adjustments before I go the aggression route

+1 I had to use the aggression route on the Mad Marquis and the Mark VI (more on the Mark because 2-doors are LONG doors and require more anger).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Per a '69 Ford Training Manual:

Essentially like everyone else said, get aggressive with it.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Oh wow. I LOVE seeing that in an official book.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Donating Member

That is hilarious

I picked this up a few months ago

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cA8tY1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	54853

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

When I got my S10 years ago it whistled on the driver's side and the top corner of the door was noticeably out from the body. Mentioned it to my uncle and asked how to fix it since the door hinges are welded on it. He picked up a 2x4, stuck it against the latch and slammed the door by the top corner as hard as he could. I'd had the truck like 3 weeks, had a loan on it, and my eyes probably about came out of my head when he did this. He took the 2x4 out, shut the door and said to me "see how that looks". That door still does not whistle and the body line is fine almost 20 years later.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers