No announcement yet.

No Radio Illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just be very careful of the wires that look like a tape strip with a connector.VERY fragile. Especially one that is in a radio that has been in the heat all it's life. I broke one recently. It was brittle and crumbled. Sometimes there is point reached where buying a nice aftermarket stereo is the best way to go. Even though I really like the factory look of the TC stereo, The Kenwood replacements I bought fit and work well.

Comment

I’ve taken apart 4 radios and I can tell you though outside they look similar, internally they’re not so I don’t know if much would swap over. I originally tried to swap the face plate over to the good radio but they wouldn’t swap over. Even the button placement and position of the leds is different. The nicest one I have I installed today, I noticed that not only does the right channel not work but fade does not work all the way set to rear speakers. A little annoyed but hey what can I do. If I knew what components were where I might be able to Frankenstein one together lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea I see one has the L/D switch.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That one is actually out of a thunderbird. It’s a little ugly but it works. I’ll run it until I can get one that looks good and works well.

Comment

I took the connector apart today and found that if I jumped the G/Y wire with the Y/BK nothing happens. According to the manual I have both should have 12v with the ignition on but that would indicate neither do. So I jumped the O/BK with the Y/BK and the bulb came on. The bulb fell out and I tried adjusting the pins to make better contact but I ended up shorting out the circuit and blowing a fuse so it’s still not on lol but it will be. Kind of strange how mine has the right colors but no power to them. Oh well it works that’s all I care about. I’ll run it the way it is until I get another one rebuilt.

Comment

looks like 3rd up from the bottom, which is what the service manual says. Pin position more important than the wire color.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

After looking over all the fuses and realizing they’re all fine, I believe the circuit is dead. Ugh whatever I’m done screwing with this damn thing for the time being.

Comment

I realized I had another radio I bought a while back that looks really good so I went ahead and installed it. It works pretty well but still no display. I noticed the pins were in different spots so I plugged mine in like usual then I tried to piggy back the cut harness with mine and it didn’t make a difference. Apparently there are a few different configurations that work. If you can see, the ground pins are in different spots, for example, yet both configurations work.

Comment

from the 87 manual, top down on the power side
                    battery
                    spare
                    A+ Ign
                    graphics (the lights around the knobs and buttons)
                    LCD
                    ground
                    PSA (switched power output to the Premium Sound Amp)

There are differences on the speaker side depending on 2 channel, 4 channel, with remote, and with graphic EQ but all use the same power connector layout

On the 4 button radio, from the top
                    battery gn/y
                    empty
                    power y/bk
                    pilot b/r
                    empty
                    empty
                    PSA o/bl
                    empty

these grounded through the mounting bracket or with a wire bolted to the radio

if you connect from the y/bk to the LCD pin it should work. Doesn't look like your connectors have a wire in that spot.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ll probably screw with it some more tomorrow morning. I had the jumper wire like pictured above but ever since last time I thought I blew a fuse neither the other radio nor this one have worked though it could just be the bulb for this one. I didn’t pull the cover off of this one yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X