No announcement yet.

No Radio Illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible about the clock thing. The radio schematics do show a switch but there is a dotted-line jumper across the switch and its marked "with clock".
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      possible about the clock thing. The radio schematics do show a switch but there is a dotted-line jumper across the switch and its marked "with clock".
      Usually in the schematics, a dotted line means some type or option, or difference between models. So that makes perfect sense

Comment

This is the schematic from my manual

There are a few other schematics for the radio but this looks to be the most basic one, aside from the conventional radio. The 12v on the upper left side Y/BK I’m not getting 12v. I’ll have to probe the fuse box to see if I at least get power to that pin with the key on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As fate would have it my multimeter was dead but what I did was remove fuse 8. The radio wouldn’t turn on but was getting power from fuse 11 so you could hear the internal amp pop when I’d press the volume on button. When I put fuse 8 back in it would turn on like usual but still no lcd backlight. This leads me to believe that either it’s the wrong radio as suggested by Kellen (all have been 6 button) or all of them are dead, unlikely.

Comment

Just tie the key-on hot wire to the LCD pin on the connector and that should take care of it.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ll do that when I can. There must be a broken wire somewhere.

Comment

if it was the 4 button radio it possibly never had the connection there.

Comment

That’s what I’m thinking the most likely scenario. If I find a nice 4 button radio I’d snatch it up. Otherwise I’ll run my 6 button. I have 3 of them and the best looking one has a dead left channel. I’m thinking about sending it out to be rebuilt if it’s not going to be too expensive.

Comment

I can tell you the 6 button has a better tuner in it. The old 4 button in my Conti fuzzes a lot. I remember the same issue from the original in the Towncar way back when I got the car.

Comment

Well there goes that lol. I called a place that rebuilds radios so I could get the nicest one I have rebuilt and he quoted around $300! I guess most places send them out to a third party rebuilder so the price is pretty much the same across the board. I found a remanufactured one on ebay but it’s 250 bucks. Eh I think I’ll keep running what I have. Most likely aftermarket is in my future but for now I like the oem look.

Comment

That price is terrible especially if it is just to replace a light bulb. Yes most places don't say they send them to a rebuilder in NY or somewhere. I am sure they double the price for their effort. I tried to get one fixed here too. Same thing, no way. If you can find a local small business that actually works on the stuff, In Ca. I knew a person that fixed radios while you waited unless parts had to be ordered. That was 20+ years ago though. I bought an extra, new TC radio faceplate which I still have from him.

Comment

Yeah I’m not sure what all that entailed but I assume not much. Funny you say New York, the place I called says they send them to United Radio or something in Syracuse. They must be the main rebuilder in the US. It’s sad but no one in my area rebuilds these from my research. Maybe there is a mom and pop electronics store local that I haven’t found yet. I hope so.

Comment

United Radio also does clusters and assorted other auto electronics overhauls.

There isn't that much inside these things. They are annoying to work on but its not exactly rocket science to re-cap one and put tape deck belts in. Its the time involved to come up with the cap list and then to swap them.

Comment

What usually goes bad in them?

Comment

capacitors mostly, but if its got a dead channel it possibly lost an output chip. I had one I had to toss. Some internal chip that does the switch from AM/FM/tape was bad on one channel. Pulled one from a similar but not compatible radio and found some other chip on the FM side was messed up so it had a weak channel. All the caps had leaked, the board had lots of corrosion on it. Best guess is the board itself was internally leaky, or the crap from the caps got inside the chip and killed it. Since most of those parts are proprietary and basically cannot be had it wasn't fixable. I pulled the new caps and the correct color faceplate light stuff out and put it in another radio that worked.

honestly if you've got one that is pretty but broken and one that works but is ugly, swap the pretty parts over and run the functional unit. The faceplate should only be a few screws to swap.

Comment

Working...
                                X