PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Freeze Plugs

Default Freeze Plugs

Bought these freeze plugs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/do...sion+plug,5332

They look deep in the pic.

They AREN’T. Maybe the depth of a silver dollar.

Would you run these or try to find deeper ones?

My instinct is no. The sealing edge is so small I feel like they’d be leak prone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Melling kit MPE-108BR sitting in front of me. The pugs are roughly .250-.260" thick from the tangent of the outside radius to the lip and there is a distinct wipe where the plug is sized. That land which would actually do the sealing is .110-.130" since it is not 100% concentric.

The individual plug p/n is MPC-133B

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Looks thin, but like he said they don't actually seal on that big of an area. The last ones I installed looked like brass versions of the original steel ones. Same kind of depth, etc. I got them from the local parts store, no idea what brand.

Make sure the hole is very clean and smooth and put a small bit of sealer schmoo on. Permatex #1 or aviation sealer is what you want. The thin brown stinky goo that fills in small imperfections in surfaces.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers