No crank , no start 90 GM stock motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No crank , no start 90 GM stock motor

All of a sudden I went out to start it and it would not turn over. No crank. The fuel pump kicks on as well as the lights and horn.

It has a fully charged battery 12.9 V
    And clean cable ends.
    Where should I check next?

Thank you always,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Does it click once? Most likely it’s the starter solenoid if so. Otherwise check all your fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

leave key in run position.

use screwdriver to jump the solenoid.. big post to big post. report back.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What David said.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thank you, I'll be checking in the morning.
          90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
          90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
          91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
          70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

The first thing I would do is charge the battery, by the way how old is the battery? If older than 5 years old get a new battery and take it from there.

Comment

is 90 the late or early starter? It changed somewhere around there, not precisely sure when. If its the late style starter, the relay on the fender very rarely goes bad. The small wire connection down at the starter can go crusty though. If jumping the relay does nothing and its the late style, check the connections down at the starter.

if all is well with the cables, whack it with a hammer. if it starts, go buy a new starter. When the brushes wear down to basically nothing they do this, and whacking the starter can sometimes bring them back in contact so it goes a few more times but it will not last long.

The hammer trick works on the old fat body starter too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

'90 should be the later style starter. If it's the original, the small wire gadget mentioned will have a spade connector. The connection with a spade connector is not great and can cause problems. For this reason, new starters often come with a wire with a ring terminal that is secured to a stud on the new starter and this wire is spliced in place of the old spade connector end. If the starter spins by following Dave's suggestion, a crappy spade connector at the starter on the small wire is where I would look first.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It 4 years. It's holding 12.9 V.
                  I usually change batteries every 2-3 years.
                  This car is a place holder in the driveway.
                  It keeps the gate closed so no one can steal the goodies.
                  Mustang and Torino.
                  Thank you for your reply Rodent.

Comment

Thank you Gadget and Viccrownvic.
                    I'll check this afternoon.
                    The solenoid jump start didn't work.
                    Thank you guys.
                    I 'll post an update.

Comment

Your Battery is at the end of its life span so in the process get a new battery and then check the solonid, in a no start it has been my experience it is a battery on its last legs.

Comment

FIXED a while back. I’ve been out of town.
                        Solenoid Switch

Comment

Working...
                        X