Vent shade install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent shade install

I recently picked up a set of stainless vent shades from RA.
    They were delivered with a bunch of metal clips to install in the window channel under the window seal. Along with a couple self tapping screws came the most unhelpful instructions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200922_144110.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1305339

The driver door is easy to install, since I've got a new window channel seal and the shade slides in easy. Dunno if it'll stay put with the clips.
    On the passenger front might be more difficult, since it's got the brittle original seal, and the instructions require pulling it out...

The rear shades are a bit more interesting, I need to pull down the brittle seals, and try and figure out how the rear part is supposed to be installed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200923_163050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1305340
    The rear of the window channel moves with the window, so I'm afraid that the metal shade will rip up the seal when closing the window.
    Then there's that mysterious screwhole, are you supposed to squeeze the door frame between the screw and shade somehow?

How are you folks' shades installed? Are the rear parts just weird on this kit or on everyones?
    Any and all tips appreciated.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Two door car here. Front shades only. Pulled the seals out and used the clips.couple 130mph+ runs and they don’t move.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd get new material if you have to pull the old out. At this point in time it usually crumbles to little bits if you poke at it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did mine on the 88 back in 2007. IIRC I also pulled the rubber and used the clips. I did the screw on the rear but honestly the clips hold it fine. You can skip the screw and save your window channel the grief in case you ever want to go without ventshades.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have another piece of the window channel, so I can do another window.
          Should probably start with the passenger front, so I'd atleast get the fronts done if I'll have to redo the window channel aswell.

Still don't have the rear screw really figured out (it's only on the rear shades)

Comment

Got the passenger front installed, correctly as far as I'm aware.
            Those clips are an absolute pain in the arse.
            The window channel fits like shit, the window fits like shit and the shade itself fits barely okay. All after I did the "Ford recommended window frame adjustments".
            Glass goes up and gets chipped at the metal guide on the window channel...

Seriously contemplating on sending these things back...
            So I'd have to rip out the old window channel again, probably need to replace it at that point, which is fine since I have the new part.

I much prefer well-functioning windows to pretty little shiny bits that barely contribute to anything.

Comment

I was unimpressed after I installed them into my car. I had no installation issues but realized they don’t have much function whatsoever.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

2 door here.
                I used a tool to get between the edge of the door window channel and the seal to pull it out a little at a time. I slowly worked it out a little at a time.
                Once I straightened my clips out and got them into the door channel correctly, it was easy from there out.
                It took a week or so of foolin' with the seal to get it into a happy place so the window would roll up completely smooth-like. The clips made it a little tight.
                No screws or holes. I'd use silicone or an adhesive first.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

On the rear doors of a 4-door car, you are supposed to drill a hole for the screw. The screw threads into the thin sheet metal which forms the rear side of the window frame. This is necessary because there is no clip or other thing which will hold the vent shade in the correct position for the window to go up without damaging the plasticky felty stuff that inexplicably is attached to the window (a mystery for the ages).

As it is very difficult to undo drilling a hole, I would suggest (as above) using some sort of adhesive first...but it needs to be an incredibly good one given the tiny contact area.

I seem to recall I had glued the ones into my 91 that were junkyard harvested for it, and did not use any clips, because I didn't know there were any at the time (I just yanked them off a car without close inspection). Somehow, they fit that car well.

Current driver: Ranger
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

I installed a set from a donor car at the junkyard. None of the rear windows had the screws installed. I have noticed there's a chance of play without them, so I may go Kishy's mentioned route and put a touch of glue on them to keep them where they belong. I had no issue with fitting the window channel on the rears. The front however, aren't quite right. I probably need to find another set of channels for a vent window car. They're a little uneven near the clips, but they seal at least. That said, the front vent visors seem useless on a non-vent window car since the forward edge isn't protected.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Well scratch this idea for now. More on the RR thread.

Comment

What a bunch of wimps! Drill the two tiny holes and screw the vent shade on. DONE! WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park
                        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                          What a bunch of wimps! Drill the two tiny holes and screw the vent shade on. DONE! WagonMan
                          I didn't even get to the rear doors...

Comment

If you get the good double side foam mounting tape, that works pretty well if you clean the area well with alcohol first.

otherwise if you do screw it in, dip the screw in some grease before installing it so the metal isn't bare.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X