PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: EEC-IV speed limiter

Default EEC-IV speed limiter

Is there anyway to remove the speed limiter on the EEC-IV? I have a 1990 Grand Marquis

I know it can be chipped, if that's the only route does anyone know of any Speed Density EEC-IV tuners on long island/NYC area?

The only limiter is the stock engine as far as I know.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I don't think the ECM used a speed limiter until 92 with the electronically controlled transmissions. That was set at about 110mph IIRC. I think the boxes are RPM limited due to the 3500-4000 rpm limit of the engine and that's only really possible in 3rd gear as 4th will slow you down at that point because it doesn't really have the power to push the car faster.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Ah ok, I'm having 4.10s put into it but I haven't changed the speedo gear and I was just worried about it topping out going 80 lol

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

its engine RPM limited at like 6200. The stock parts won't let it spin that fast anyway unless you just mat the pedal in neutral.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

It’s kind of sad we don’t have a speed limiter because we can’t go fast enough to need one...

Tall gear ratio...like a 2.73 gives the engine the opportunity to reach some high speeds. Just need some long stretches of road to get there.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    It’s kind of sad we don’t have a speed limiter because we can’t go fast enough to need one...
    You don't need to, these are cruise cars. I've had my Town Car almost seven years now and never once felt the urge to push it past 85 or 90. I've got my Firebird for that or even my truck.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

In theory they can go fast with tall gears, in reality between the lack of aerodynamics and the 150 hp engine its just not going to. I've had mine going way too fast before, it makes unsavory noises. Doesn't get unstable tho.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

They are among the quietest and best riding cars at and below 60mph.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

There is no speed limiter. They couldn't go that fast anyway.

They're OK even in the 70-75 range but box Towncars over 100 whistle loudly from the mirrors, and over about 120 the grille on the 85-87 at least will push in and go crooked. Its still a surprisingly controlled drive, but you can tell it simply was not intended to go that fast.

Also you stand a high chance of your heater core failing with stock engine pulleys, especially if you don't have a restrictor in the line. The accessory drive was engineered for tall gears in OD at a national highway speed of 55. I've been in two of these cars that had a heater core explode when the rpm got over about 4000. One was my own car somewhere well over 100 mph, one was Natehawk's car when the 351 went in. His popped just before the first 1-2 shift on paved road. Having the windshield suddenly become a sheet of solid fog when you're going fast is not my idea of a good time.

I'll say a 3.27 RAR and a single pipe LoPo can manage 101 MPH, but make sure your valvetrain isn't tired, unless you want to see if your exhaust valves are any good. It also takes a minute to get there.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    They're OK even in the 70-75 range but box Towncars over 100 whistle loudly from the mirrors, and over about 120 the grille on the 85-87 at least will push in and go crooked. Its still a surprisingly controlled drive, but you can tell it simply was not intended to go that fast.

Also you stand a high chance of your heater core failing with stock engine pulleys, especially if you don't have a restrictor in the line. The accessory drive was engineered for tall gears in OD at a national highway speed of 55. I've been in two of these cars that had a heater core explode when the rpm got over about 4000. One was my own car somewhere well over 100 mph, one was Natehawk's car when the 351 went in. His popped just before the first 1-2 shift on paved road. Having the windshield suddenly become a sheet of solid fog when you're going fast is not my idea of a good time.
    Well yah, the original crowd that they were designed for and who purchased them never went that fast. Would have been a waste of resources to make high speed feasible in one. Doubt the barges of the 70's were any better. They do ride OK at 70 - 80, but hot damn do they ride like velvet at 60.

LoL I remember reading about that story of yours regarding the speedlimiter, aka heater core. My inlet has a restrictor yet my heater core has failed anyway. I just can't get myself to tear open the dash nor am I comfortable farming it out for fear the car will never be as tight & quiet as it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    I'll say a 3.27 RAR and a single pipe LoPo can manage 101 MPH, but make sure your valvetrain isn't tired, unless you want to see if your exhaust valves are any good. It also takes a minute to get there.
    If you think these things take a minute to get up to speed, drive a 2.3 powered Ranger from the early to mid 90's. They barely do 90 mph with the throttle matted to the floor.

Its not the end of the world pulling the dash. I've done mine twice. The first core I put in was bad out of the box. Only real trick is to not hurry so nothing breaks.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

I have a new heater core that i never put in the first '90. Should i have that done when the new engine goes in? Not sure the age of the one in there.

replace it when it fails. It comes out from inside the car, so engine in vs engine out honestly doesn't make any difference. if it doesn't fog the windshield and stink like coolant though, let it ride.

Iíve replaced two, one in my old 85 cv and my current 87 mgm. Neither was that bad and can be done with just one side of the dash unbolted. Getting everything lined back up can be a pain since doing it that way you have to kind of angle the front up. If thereís any coolant left in the heater core it will spill. The po of my 87 was nice enough to cut out the carpet all the way to the seat so there was nothing for the coolant to soak into lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Its not the end of the world pulling the dash. I've done mine twice. The first core I put in was bad out of the box. Only real trick is to not hurry so nothing breaks.
    Everyone who "can" says that sort of stuff. There are a lot of things I'll do and many more I won't. That's just something I don't feel like doing unless I had assistance from someone who has. I hardly drive the thing nowadays anyway, it's probably time to sell it.