No announcement yet.

EEC-IV speed limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a new heater core that i never put in the first '90. Should i have that done when the new engine goes in? Not sure the age of the one in there.

Comment

replace it when it fails. It comes out from inside the car, so engine in vs engine out honestly doesn't make any difference. if it doesn't fog the windshield and stink like coolant though, let it ride.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ve replaced two, one in my old 85 cv and my current 87 mgm. Neither was that bad and can be done with just one side of the dash unbolted. Getting everything lined back up can be a pain since doing it that way you have to kind of angle the front up. If there’s any coolant left in the heater core it will spill. The po of my 87 was nice enough to cut out the carpet all the way to the seat so there was nothing for the coolant to soak into lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Its not the end of the world pulling the dash. I've done mine twice. The first core I put in was bad out of the box. Only real trick is to not hurry so nothing breaks.
          Everyone who "can" says that sort of stuff. There are a lot of things I'll do and many more I won't. That's just something I don't feel like doing unless I had assistance from someone who has. I hardly drive the thing nowadays anyway, it's probably time to sell it.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Update on this, they do have a speed limiter. With 4.10s you will hit it going 67mph. Unplugging the speedometer from the transmission fixed the governor, and I just use the tach speed to guestimate the MPH

Comment

Originally posted by NotYourFathersMercury View Post
              Update on this, they do have a speed limiter. With 4.10s you will hit it going 67mph. Unplugging the speedometer from the transmission fixed the governor, and I just use the tach speed to guestimate the MPH
              Was that the top in 3rd? If you hold the car at WOT, the AOD won't shift into OD. Unplugging anything from the VSS isn't gonna affect much since the transmission is totally hydraulic.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's not a limiter that's just the end of the world with the 4.10's and a !:! third gear. You're not getting into overdrive at wide open throttle. I had my stock '88 with 3.08's up to a GPS verified 111 in third gear on a flat road. If you had unlimited road and could accelerate in OD lightly enough that it didn't downshift you might get faster. There's online calculators that show how fast you could theoretically go based on RPM, gearing, and tire size, I say theoretically because of aerodynamic limits.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I have 4.10s myself and can’t imagine going above about 65. Between the vibrations and howling noise of the drivetrain I’m scared it’ll come flying apart lol. But I don’t like driving it that way anyway, it’s a cruiser not a racecar.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                    I have 4.10s myself and can’t imagine going above about 65. Between the vibrations and howling noise of the drivetrain I’m scared it’ll come flying apart lol. But I don’t like driving it that way anyway, it’s a cruiser not a racecar.

This.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

140ish in the vic. 3.73 in third gear with the old aod. Was more afraid of engine blowing than car feeling uncomfortable.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                        You're not getting into overdrive at wide open throttle.
                        This is quite true. I unintentionally reduced my (completely stock) wagon's top speed because I like the TV pressure a little higher, but by doing this, it has created a situation where I can't open the throttle more to go faster above a certain speed without forcing a downshift, and of course stock these really don't make anything other than noise revving that high. It's capable of highway speed of course, but when I try to push it into "very expensive ticket" territory, it just won't. Probably best to leave it, for my own good.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

140ish in the vic. 3.73 in third gear with the old aod. Was more afraid of engine blowing than car feeling uncomfortable.
                          ~6300rpm? I would have lifted too. I don’t know a lot of 302’s that like more than that without expensive parts or borrowed time.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

oddly enough the ZF box in my diesel will run OD at full throttle.

and yeah a well sorted box will do well north of 100 without feeling sketchy. Driveshaft vibes are very uncomfortable though. My original one had issues.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              ~6300rpm? I would have lifted too. I don’t know a lot of 302’s that like more than that without expensive parts or borrowed time.
                              Its a bunch of expensive parts waiting to blow. lol I really wish I put in 3.55 or 3.27 gears instead of 3.73. The car rips up top but gets to the engines limit to fast.

From my RR Spotlight page:

Engine:
                              1. New LMR 5.0 302 V8 (SEFI) with Forged Pistons (LRS-6009EF)
                              2. HO Conversion with A9P
                              3. Tuned by Willie at Dirty Dog Racing with a Moates Quarterhorse
                              4. Mass Air Conversion using 2008 Crown Victoria 80mm Slot Style MAF
                              5. Trick Flow 170 Twisted Wedge Cylinder Heads (TFS-51410004-M61)
                              6. NGK FR5 Spark Plugs gapped at 37
                              7. ARP Cylinder Head Bolts (ARP-154-3601)
                              8. Trick Flow Push Rods (TFS-21406700)
                              9. Trick Flow Stage 1 Camshaft (TFS-51403001)
                              10. Trick Flow 1.6 Roller Rockers (TFS-51400510)
                              11. Trick Flow Double Roller Timing Chain (TFS-51478520)
                              12. Ford Racing Roller Lifters (M-6500-R302)
                              13. Ford Racing Harmonic Balancer (FMS-M-6316-M50)
                              14. ASP Racing Aluminum Underdrive Crank Pulley (ASP928900)
                              15. 24LB Denso Blue Top Fuel Injectors
                              16. TMoss Ported GT 40 Lower Intake
                              17. Lightning GT 40 Tubular Intake
                              18. Lightning GT 40 Tubular Intake Plenum Plaque
                              19. Lightning EGR Spacer
                              20. Lightning 65mm Throttle Body
                              21. Trick Flow 3/8” Phenolic Intake Spacer (TFS-51520017)
                              22. Trick Flow Valve Covers (TFS-51411801)
                              23. Trick Flow Oil Fill Neck (TFS-51400800)
                              24. SVE High Torque Mini Starter (LRS-11002B)
                              25. ICT Billet EGR Delete Plate (551604)
                              26. TAB, TAD, EGR and Smog Delete
                              27. McCully racing Motors TFI (Thick Film Ignition) Relocation Kit (Mounted on Core Support)
                              28. ARP Oil Pump Drive Shaft (154-7904)
                              29. NOS Ford Metal/Rubber Valve Cover Gaskets
                              30. 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Drivers Side Inner Fender with Plastic Vacuum Reservoir/Relay Combo
                              31. 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Air Intake Box
                              32. 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Zip Tube
                              33. K&N High Performance Air Filter (33-2272)
                              34. Ford Racing 9mm High Performance Spark Plug Wire Set (M-12259-M301)
                              35. Spark Plug Wire Separators
                              36. MSD V8 Cap and Rotor Kit (8482)
                              37. Billet Specialties Ball Milled Wire Loom Holder (69520)
                              38. New Duralast Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (SU201)
                              39. New Motorcraft Fuel Filter
                              40. New Duralast Alternator Belt (505K6)
                              41. New REM Reproduction UnderHood Hood Liner (FM-753)
                              42. New DEA Engine Mounts (A2437, A2438)
                              43. Walbro 190 lph Fuel Pump
                              44. 1985 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 351 Oil Cooler Set up with replacement Derale 15405 Cooler
                              45. Moroso Oil Seperator Kit for PCV System (85481)
                              46. Moroso Oil Seperator Kit for Valve Cover Breather Tube (85632)
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 11-06-2020, 05:34 AM. Reason: 3.55 or 3.27 instead of 3.73
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My 93 will theoretically do 140 at the top of 3rd (what it hits on the dyno). I would be afraid of going over 110 unless I knew the condition of the road for the entire stretch I was going that fast. It has no issues cruising between 90 and 100 all day though. The box with the stock lopo and 3.55 gears hated going over 80mph. And towing the trailer was best done at 60 or below. The 93 will tow that trailer at 75 without breaking a sweat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X